exchanging inactive?

Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/bApril 7, 2013

Why is the trading area on houseplants inactive, i thought people would love to trade and get new plants through trading?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Yes, we do, that's true. But right now it's still too early in the season & not warm enough. Here it was still in the 30s just several days ago.

In another month or 2 not only will it be warm enough, the plants will have put on some Spring growth (some, but only some of mine are doing so). That makes them stronger & better able to withstand the travel.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 11:21PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Yes, we do, that's true. But right now it's still too early in the season & not warm enough. Here it was still in the 30s just several days ago.

In another month or 2 not only will it be warm enough, the plants will have put on some Spring growth (some, but only some of mine are doing so). That makes them stronger & better able to withstand the travel.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 7:09AM
emerald1951

Hi I love to trade or give....
what are you looking for, and what do you have...
I have 125 plants...e-mail me.......linda
ps its getting close for shipping.....

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 9:18AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Hi Grant, glad to hear from another person interested in trading. I've done 3 plant trades already this year, during "warmth windows" and working on 2 more (waiting for more growth on some things, warmer weather for safe sending.) Feel free to look at my exchange page, your note here reminded me to update it today.

The trades in which I've been involved didn't originate from the exchange forum, just people noticing each others' plants and then emailing privately to ask if the person wants to trade, what else they have, etc...

If you have a photo-hosting account where you can put pics of plants you can trade, that helps a lot, both people can "shop" each others' plants.

GW is my first and true love as far as garden forums go, but there's also another one I really like for its' ability to log and track one's plants. Trading on that site is especially easy because of that, although the forums are nowhere near as active. Send me a private note if you would be interested in checking that out, 'twould be rude to discuss it here.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 9:43AM
ozarkia(6b-ish)

P.S., purple, I saw your post in reply to me recently about some trades. I don't remember which thread it was now, but, indeed, I'm waiting for the weather to warm up and growth spurts to happen (I saw you got sillamontana in NOLA, too, eh?!) -- in answer to the OP.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 1:42AM

Something made me think of this thread so I found it and don't know why I didn't get an email notice when your comment was added, Ozarkia. How's the spurting?

Grant, did you manage to stir up any cool leads or completed trades?

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 4:47PM
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b

I was able to get some cactus trades, but not any houseplant trades...
Grant

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 8:38PM

Grant, that's a cool start. Are you looking for anything in particular? House plant forum has an exchange page also. It just takes a little work contacting people until you find the right thing(s.) Your exchange page is still empty.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 8:23AM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

How are you able to trade grantgarden. Tried to and they threatened to kick me off because Im too young to trade. Arent you only fifteen

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 9:07AM
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b

Huh that is weird teen, in what ways did they try to kick you off? I'm only 16, if you want to trade with me you can, reach me by email. Grant

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 11:10AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

The Special Instructions for the Exchange Page stipulate among other things (bullet #2),

⢠The exchanges were created to facilitate the arranging of trades of plants and seeds between members. You must be 18 years or older to participate. Please do not use them to solicit donations, ask for free plants or seeds, or ask for items in exchange for postage. All requests must be in the context of arranging a trade. If you have nothing to offer at this time, please wait until you do.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 12:24PM
More Discussions
Can i repot a pothos by sticking it in a larger pot and adding soil?
I have some pothos that are in 4 inch pots. I need...
tlbean2004
The "Show Off" Thread
I love coming to this site for all kinds of useful...
savannaicus
Satus Update!
It was 52 degrees yesterday, and in my yard I found...
Rhamel(teengardener1888)
I believe this is a corn plant... it's blooming and very frangrant!
I recently acquired this house plant from someone that...
kinziestarr
Fiddle Leaf Fig & Baby Jade help...
I've had this fiddle leaf fig for about a year. Why...
sjhermann
Sponsored Products
Marset | Continua 23 Inch Wall Light
$571.00 | YLighting
Well Traveled Living Stainless Steel Pro Series Patio Heater
Beyond Stores
Fountain 4 Piece Outdoor Patio Sofa Set in Espresso White
$925.00 | LexMod
Little Bighorn Ring Holder
| Dot & Bo
Alexis Bueno 'Bueno Exchange XXVIII' Canvas Diptych Art Print
Overstock.com