Help! I think I overwatered my jade plant :( (Pics)

maryjadeApril 14, 2013

I'm not very experienced, and I'm pretty sure my jade has gotten too much water and is now dying. About five days ago, it was sunny outside finally so I thought I would put my plant outside to get some sun (which was probably much needed). It started raining eventually, but I hadn't watered it in a while so I left it outside to get some water. Maybe too much water... since, the leaves are turning slightly brown and look kind of water-logged, and are falling off. The leaves towards the bottom of the stem still look okay.

So did I overwater and is there anything I can do to salvage the plant? It was bought as a hanging plant and usually hangs in a window in my bathroom. (south exposure)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryjade

Another Picture of the whole plant. Thank you for your help!

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 5:47PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

How long was it in the direct sun? Has it been outside at all this season? Because it looks like sunscald to me.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 6:57PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

That's exactly what I thought!

It looks like you might of introduced the sun to early to it and it burnt. It will make a full recovery after some leaf loss.

Hello Rhizo:-)

Mike

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 7:21PM
kaktuskris

Incidentally, that is NOT a jade. Senecio jacobsenii, I believe. Not a Crassula.

Christopher.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 8:15PM

Oh, yeah....there IS that. LOL! I was so mesmerized by those poor burned leaves that I overlooked that, Christopher.

Hi, Mike!

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 4:08AM
maryjade

I didn't think of that! It was outside for several hours of sun after being indoors with indirect sunlight all winter. It's not very warm here, and I understood that it's very hard to give this kind of plant too much sun, but I'm always learning. I'm happy to hear that it should recover though! It doesn't look any worse today.

When I squeeze the leaves that have fallen off, water comes out of them onto my finger and thumb, thats why I thought it might be waterlogged...

Thanks for letting me know that Christopher! I will look up the Senecio jacobsenii

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 4:38PM

Plants that have been grown inside need to be slowly acclimated to the direct sun

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 9:43PM
maryjade

Thank you for your help. I'm learning a lot just by reading this forum! Now I feel bad for my poor senecio jacobsenii.. I think I'm going to have to trim it back and try again.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 6:51PM
asleep_in_the_garden

Don't forget to root those cuttings! :)

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 1:02AM

Mary, that's a good idea. Trim off the parts that have been burned, even it all out, and your plant will recover.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 3:53AM
asleep_in_the_garden

And even though burned,the cut off pieces may still be viable...it's certainly worth a shot to try rooting them.

.....Just saying! :)

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 4:36AM
maryjade

I took some stem cuttings and I'm also saving some leaves to see if they will root. These have been sitting for about three days now, but I'm not sure when they are calloused-over enough.. do you think these are ready to put in some soil? Or not yet..

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 5:27PM
asleep_in_the_garden

Looks good to me! :)

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 6:08PM

Remove the bottom few leaves of each cutting so that you can insert the stems without having any of the leaves touch the soil...or another plant. I've never waited for a succulent cutting to callus over...so get them into a coarse medium pronto. Water them well initially.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 8:55PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

I agree that is senecio. I am puzzled by how diverse the genus is. From thirsty cineraria to drought tolerant bead plant

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 9:47AM
kaktuskris

Indeed Senecio may be diverse, but if you really want diversity, check out the Euphorbia.

Christopher.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Planting Zones
I need to know the Zone for Toronto, Ontario, Canada....
bobv2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™