itchy fingers: too early to prune F. elastica?

gravyboots(7B)April 18, 2012

The title says it all -

Here is a pic of the tree from late last summer: From 9 Lives Ficus elastica

I will be removing the top branch (the one pointing "away" in the pic). The tree has been in an unobstructed south-facing window all winter (a BIG plus here in the PNW) and getting fed.

Anyone had satisfactory results pruning this time of year? Of course, I'd love to hear from you, Al....

Thanks!

GB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Lol @ your impatience - it won't kill your tree, it will just respond better if you wait - especially if you're going to repot. The plan would be repot around Father's Day and do your hard pruning 2-3 weeks later - around the 4th of July. Using the holidays makes it easy to remember. Your tree's just waking up - give it a little time to get going. Your call though, of course.

Al

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 10:02PM
gravyboots(7B)

Well Al, your advice is no surprise ;D ...especially considering that I haven't been using the stove lately, so it's been pretty cool in the house. There are some warm temps coming up (60's!) so I'm going to start dragging the Ficuses & Dracaenas outside during the day.

I don't plan to repot the tree pictured beyond changing the planting angle somewhat - maybe that will end up developing into something major though. I loaded the bottom of the pot with big rocks last year, to give some weight since the top is so unwieldy & maybe there are enough roots that those should be removed. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for weighing in Al - it's hard to be patient!

GB

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 8:59AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I look at people impatient to push the season as not having enough plants to keep themselves busy enough that they don't need to fret over a plant or two. ;-) You need more plants. Sometimes I go as long as 3-4 years with a potential bonsai in a pot w/o even touching (pruning) it - no problem. I have enough others to keep my hands & mind occupied.

Al

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 2:13PM
birdsnblooms

Gravy, was your Ficus purchased w/one trunk?

My goal is to cut stems w/leaves from two Ficus elasticas, so they end up with one trunk, instead of bushes.

If you pruned your Ficus, shaping into a standard, can you please tell me how it was done? Thanks, Toni

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 2:44PM
gravyboots(7B)

Toni, I've known this plant off & on for about 13 years; it was in the house I'm living at when I originally moved in & it stayed when I moved out again. The main trunk was already cut when we met....

Here's how it looked a couple years ago, after having some recovery time from a total soil collapse episode: From 9 Lives Ficus elastica

It's looking better, but the spread of the arm-like branches is now over 4 ft - much too wide. I am going to take off the top branch, cutting just about at the jute (see photo at top of thread), then follow Al's advice & adjust the potting angle so the "new" main trunk is going pretty vertical. The goal is to get this tree in more of a upright habit - I may wire the remaining branches to grow upward since the apical meristem of the "new" main trunk has also been removed (you can see this on the original pic too, at the top left).

Here is the goal for this year's pruning & adjusting: From 9 Lives Ficus elastica

Al, if you can believe it, plants are my job too - I think I may have some kind of condition!

GB

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 4:21PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Well, then I Just Dropped in to see what Condition Your Condition is in.

Who remembers Kenny Rogers & the First Edition's late 1960s hit by (almost) that name? Never mind - can't blame you if you don't/won't answer. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhOKhJaM1QE&feature=related

Al

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
Jasmine plant in suspended animation
Hi all, Hubby bought me a little jasmine plant for...
vamtngranny
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Dracaenas Identify & Care
Here are two plants that I know are Dracaenas but I...
bobv2
Plant identification & care
Are the plants in the photo a variety of Dracaena?...
bobv2
Brown Leaf Spots on Dracaena
Hi all, I have a dracaena fragrans that I bought at...
breadherring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™