Dracaena massangeana (Corn Plant) Soil Seems Compacted

SummersoffApril 7, 2012

Hi Everyone

I am new to plants, and when I bought this big Corn plant I noticed that the soil seemed to be hard like mud (well not that hard)when it is dry. It doesn't look like a free-flowing, well-draining soil.

My theory was correct as I tried to water it this morning. The soil was dry on top and when I put my finger down a little ways. So as I watered it the water pooled at the top for a good 10 seconds then sunk down beneath the soil.

I am afraid of losing this plant to root rot as the water has no where to go--and definitely there was no water draining out of the bottom of the pot.

I live in Korea at the moment and it's hard to communicate.

I'm wondering what I should do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

You live in a part of the world where akadama, kanuma, Kiryu sand, lava, and pumice should be readily available. My suggestion is that you study the link I'm going to leave at the end of this post, and make your own soils to mimic the gritty mix, seen in this picture
. I grow ALL my houseplants and long term plantings in this soil with exceptional results.

With an appropriate fertilizer, you will find it very easy to maintain plants in excellent health in similar, well-aerated soils, soils such as those who practice bonsai in your country might use.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: The info promised - if you click me. ;-)

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 8:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Summersoff

Thank you, Al. Very interesting read in that link you provided =)

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
What to do with Alocasia tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Name that plant!
I found this plant at Walmart with the usual "foliage"...
elizabeth_101
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™