Prayer Plant with Legs?

KneezyApril 30, 2014

Hi all! Ive been growing my beautiful Maranta leucoreura's for about 10-12 months. Ive recently noticed these spindly little branches "legs" growing.I first noticed them on the ones I had taken cuttings from, but I also found them on one of the girls I had yet to take cuttings from. My prayer plants have been doing amazingly well in my apt, so Im not sure what exactly these little legs might be from? Can anyone help me out? Ive attached a pic of one of the "legs" that are currently growing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantomaniac08(8)

I'm sorry as I don't know what those are (I'm guessing some kind of root), but I'd like to know if you could provide a picture of your entire plant? It sounds like a beaut. How did you go about taking cuttings (where did you cut, how did you root them?)?

Planto

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 9:36PM
Kneezy

A root, huh? interesting,.. It kind of does look like a root now that you mention it. There are always these little rough white spots on the stem nodes at the base of each set of leaves that remind me of wannabe root sites...I hope that makes sense! Ill attach a pic of what Im talking about next. Note the little bumps-

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 1:10AM
Kneezy

Here are a couple of the girls before I took some cuttings. The cuttings rooted really easily and quickly.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 1:18AM
Kneezy

these are the girls in bedroom, POST-cuttings. They were getting really heavy with new growth. I LOVE watching these plants grow:)

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 1:24AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Adventitious roots. Cuttings taken with these on them will take quicker than without.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 5:31AM
plantomaniac08(8)

Ah, that's the word I was looking for but couldn't think of, "adventitious." Those little bumps you are describing are future sites for roots I believe.

How did you root your cuttings, in water?

Planto

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 7:24AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Flower stems look a lot like that, but it does look more fat than one of those, in the first pic. In the 2nd pic, looks like where a flower stem was cut off?

Your plants are amazing!! Wow! Maranta whisperer. I'd love to hear more about what kind of light these plants enjoy at your place.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 8:25AM
christine1950

Beautiful, I'd like to know whats your magic trick also :>)

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
Good Growing Practices - An Overview
I am reposting this thread because the transition from...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Planting Zones
I need to know the Zone for Toronto, Ontario, Canada....
bobv2
String of Pearls
Here is a photo of what used to be a very healthy 'String...
bobv2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™