Easter lily

irishmusApril 22, 2011

I buy an Easter Lily every year, after it's finished blooming I usually throw it away. How can I keep it and have it bloom again in a pot not the ground. I also live in Hawaii if that makes a difference, Aloha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Joe1980(5)

It's very difficult to get them to rebloom indoors, because they are technically an outdoor plant, requiring a cold, dormant period in winter. Unless you're planning to store it in a refrigerator for winter, you're not going to get it to rebloom indoors.

Joe

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 1:20PM
emerald1951

Hi...
I don't know where you are located...
I am in Minnesota, and I just plant my easter lily in the garden...and a friend gave me a bunch from her church 2 years ago and when the frost is gone and the ground warms up they grow and bloom in my garden...last year I had about 36 blooming they multiplied nicely...linda

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 2:51PM
jodik_gw

According to what I found while doing a little research...

"The Easter lily is native to southern Japan. Prior to World War II, the bulbs were imported from there. Today more than 95 percent of all Easter lily bulbs are produced on just 10 farms along the Pacific coast in a half-mile wide and 12-mile-long strip of land on the California and Oregon border."

And...

"If you are planting the lily outside after Easter, flower removal will help make the plant's food production go into enlarging the bulb and not producing seeds. They are not easy plants to get to re-bloom the following year when grown as a houseplant. They will re-bloom easily if planted outdoors in zones three through seven.

In zones eight through ten, they can be planted outside for the summer. In the fall, dig them up and plant them in potting soil in a pot an inch wider than the bulb. Refrigerate the whole pot for eight to twelve weeks, keeping the soil damp. Take them out and leave them in the pot or replant in the ground."

Link below contains more pertinent information on the bulb we all know as the Easter Lily. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Easter Lilies - For Home or Garden

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 5:36AM
More Discussions
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
pepperomia plant how to grow?
I would like some help on caring for a Pepperomia plant....
muffy1954
Satus Update!
It was 52 degrees yesterday, and in my yard I found...
Rhamel(teengardener1888)
Spider plant looking pale
I have a spider that plant that has started to look...
ptsourkas
Question about ecobulb for houseplants
a while back someone on this forum rec. the Ecobulb...
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
Sponsored Products
Festive Occasion 12'' Plate Cling Set
$32.99 | zulily
African Violet Bold Stripe Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Easter Bunny Sign
| Dot & Bo
Set of Six Cabbage Leaf Easter Placemats
Grandin Road
Easter Island Replica Aquarium Decoration - RR842
$14.99 | Hayneedle