Dying Kentia Palm :(

tuxxApril 24, 2013

Hi guys,

I have a Kentia Palm which is dying slowly and I don't know why. I water it regularly, but not too often and not too much. Recently I've noticed that the soil is full of small, gray bubbles with some liquid inside :/ (see attached picture). I've no idea what they are.. Could this be the cause? Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tuxx

This is how the leafs look like. I already cut 2 because they died :(

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 9:21PM
Will07(5)

Looks like the air is too dry, especially if that heater it's beside is turned on. The little 'bubbles' is slow release fertilizer usually put in the pot before the plants are shipped out of the nursery. I would repot the plant to a slightly bigger pot with a good potting mix and try and increase the humidity. Maybe you can spray the fronds with a mister a few times a week. Also are you sure this is a Kentia palm? It looks like a majesty from the pic.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 9:58PM
tuxx

I think you're right, the air is dry. Maybe the spray will help, I'll give it a try. I also noticed that the roots are still not strong, and the plant is flimsy, as if it didn't suck any water at all since I bought it. I didn't know exactly what type of palm it is, but I searched now and you're right, it's a majesty. Thanks for the tips!

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 10:37PM
exboyjr

That is not a Kentia palm. That's a majesty palm that is sold at home depot and lowe's. The gray granules are slow release fertilizer. This is not an indoor palm.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 3:45PM
More Discussions
Schefflera and corn plant sharing a pot?
Anyone tried planting schefflera and Dracaena Fragrans...
Peter
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
Plant identification & care
The plant in photo was grown by my friend from cuttings...
bobv2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™