Dumb Cane

drvongirlApril 13, 2012

Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I have posted but I still enjoy reading the post of how everyone's plants are doing? I have a dumb cane that is loosing lower leafs one by one.They turn yellow and drop off. It's in well draining soil and i use pro foilage when I water, it gets late afternoon filtered sunlight. It was root pruned and transplated about a month ago after being rootbound in the pot I bought it in. Can anyone make a suggestion as to what to do?

I have another dumb cane and it did the same thing. Now it has become a 26inch stalk with leaves at the top because of the leap drop. If anyone can refer me to the link to post a pic i will, it's been so long since I did it, I forgot how. thanks ellen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dellis326 (Danny)

That's how they grow.

In their natural environment they grow along the ground with only the top end aiming upwards. They may branch out and grow new roots along the stem but mostly they just snake along the ground.

I posted about this question last year on the IAS aroid forum and that seemed to be the consensus among the expert aroid growers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dieffenbachia growth pattern

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 11:25PM
drvongirl

thanks for the information and the link, atleast now I know it's not something I am doing!

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 4:38PM
dellis326 (Danny)

Yeah, that's what I thought too. For several years the thing flopped around and needed to lean against something or be tied up. I de-potted it a couple of times to check the roots but they were always ok. The stem was firm like a hose under pressure and no mushy spots but it would bend so much it could be potted up but bent over and running along the floor. Now it's bound to a pole and almost touches the ceiling, I guess I'll have to give it the chop one of these days.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 1:12AM
More Discussions
Recommended general fertilizer for house plants?
I have a few different green leafy things, random cuttings,...
sunnyvalley
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
Peperomia "Rosso"
I bought this plant recently....does anyone else have...
RioSeven
Desert Rose That Will Not Bloom
I have a desert rose that is roughly 4 or 5 years old....
Tiffany Martin
A lighter gritty mix and a 5-1-1 question
Hey, So I love gritty mix and only have a few plants...
hottomato99
Sponsored Products
RION Furniture - COLONIAL CANING BENCH HAND RUBBED BLACK - GBEN103HB
Great Furniture Deal
Stanley Archipelago Port Royal Fathom Arm Chair 186-11-70 - 186-11-70
$489.00 | Hayneedle
Iron Coatrack
$114.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Harbour Cane Headboard
Serena & Lily
Caning Melon Outdoor Lumbar Pillow
$79.00 | FRONTGATE