Speaking Of Large Fruits...

wayne_5 zone 6a Central IndianaAugust 31, 2012

I was reading about the large sweet potatoes on another thread. I just carried in a 37 pound watermelon and a 30 pound litter mate from the same plant and there is another one about 30 pounds. The plant is now setting on its 3rd litter.

Also I brought in another large fruit the other day...a 22 pound cantaloupe....Burpee Crenshaw. \\God has surely been good to me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glib(5.5)

The best summer for melons in the midwest in recent memory.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 2:23PM
ltilton

If you could beat the mildews, it sure was.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 4:17PM
pnbrown

Wow, I don't think even I could eat a 37-pound melon. I like the medium size that a person can polish off without feeling like a complete hog afterwards....

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 5:34PM
jolj(7b/8a)

Wayne_5 Nice, Great Job, but I am not surprised.
You know so much about soil,gardening & many different plants.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 9:53PM
exmar

Hi Folks,

We've been eating a 37lb. watermelon all week...:-) Probably another 4-5 not as big, but "hefty" left in the patch. The bird house gourds are also producing beyond any expectations and then some. Guess the drought and watering heavily once a week with soaker hoses made them happy?

Rest of the garden was interesting, garlic was harvested a month early, French Music. San Marzano tomatoes just now coming on heavy which is typical for them. Beans, Bush Blue Lake didn't do much at all and we grow them every year.

Drought seems to be over for us, the residual rain from the hurricane got here and dumped 2" in 45 minutes and it's been raining off and on ever since. Wish the 2" of rain had been spread out more, the ground was so dry it essentially just ran off, but we were happy to see it!!!

Every year in the garden is interesting, but this year seems more interesting, inland hurricanes and drought.

Be well,

Ev

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 11:09AM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

We just brought in 2 more large Burpee crenshaws...so good.

It is about to rain again...had some yesterday. It seems that once the soil and air are moist that the rains come often and conversely, when it is bone dry, the rains don't even reach the ground. There has been almost no run off yet and I don't believe that any water has reached tile drains yet.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 12:19PM
exmar

Wayne, you just reminded me of something the old farmers used to say when I was growing up on the farm in the '50's. We would occasionally have droughts and the "common wisdom" was that the ground had to be damp to "draw" rain. It seems that was the way at the end of a drought, it would "threaten and threaten," with only a coule of minutes of rain, then eventually, damp ground or otherwise, we'd get a good rain. Don't know what NOAA would say about that one.

Ev

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 1:39PM
denninmi(8a)

LOL, I'm having a hard time eating the five little "personal size" Pony Yellow or Yellow Doll melons from my 2 irrigated plants. Unfortunately, not feeling so well these days, so I don't have much of an appetite. Have to have some "medical stuff" done soon, will be back in full form by spring!

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 1:57PM
ltilton

I've had to throw out more than a half dozen melons that went bad while we were trying to eat them all.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
Using landscape fabric instead of hilling potatoes?
I've got a large veggie garden that gets out of control...
fireweed22
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
What to direct seed in eastern pa
Hi everyone. I'm begining to plan my garden for spring,...
mfran12345
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™