can eggplant with holes still grow

krissylovesplants79August 26, 2013

I noticed some of my sicilian eggplant has holes. What I would like to know is if it could stilk grow. I know the holes are from insects or worms, but my grandmother used to cut that part off, clean them well to make sure there were no bugs or worms and it was fine. However, they are very small and I want to let them grow. Is that still possible?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Are the holes in the fruit or in the leaves? If the leaves, it's probably flea beetles, and yes, your plant and fruit will grow just fine with good care.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 6:14PM
krissylovesplants79

Thanks, its in the fruit but doesnt look too deep, looks like its just the skin. So based on what you said I think I will leave it on a little longer but keep checking to insure its not getting soft instead of growing. I added my all natural spray with spices and murphys soap and added a small extra spritz to murphys soap spray to help deter insects from eating it, which i didnt do initially because the fruit was so small and not ripe. These can grow to the end of october here in ny as long as the whether is not freezing. Even during the huricanes we had in the past couple of years, my plants held up well, although sandy was kind of tge end of thecseason and I harvested everything worth harvesting before the storm, but stuff continued to grow nonthless.

This post was edited by krissylovesplants79 on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 12:54

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 8:52AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

A small superficial dent is not going to do a damage. I have seen them with cracks that were healed eventually.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 2:30AM
More Discussions
Plastic hardware cloth
How easily can critters chew through it?
hairmetal4ever
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™