'some' yellow cucumbers????

kwyet1(z6 CT)August 19, 2009

..Why are 'some' of my cucumbers suddenly turning yellow?? They are full size, but are yellow instead of green. There are plenty more cucumber on the same plant that are ripening green. What happened to these few and can I still eat them?? Will they be bitter??

Thanks,

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Yellow often means left on the vine too long. Cukes are best used at an immature stage so harvesting while sill green and smaller then you are letting them get should solve the problem for you. They cross that line from just right to too old quickly so daily or even 2x daily picking is often needed.

Yes they are still safe to eat, just past prime.

Dave

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 4:39PM
kwyet1(z6 CT)

I don't think so because they have been yellow since they were pretty small...I have some nice green ones that are much larger. There are only two like this...the rest are nice and green.
Thanks,
Linda

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 8:19AM
cyrus_gardner(8)

If they are as you describe, then your growing conditions (PH, nutrients, minerals, watering.) are not corrects.
It could also be the variety. I know that Korean cucumbers are mostly white with some green color; A japanes variety is dark green, Armenian is light yllow-green, etc.

How do the leaves of the vines look? Are they pale gree, nice green, dark green???
cyrus

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 11:16AM
kwyet1(z6 CT)

Hi,
The leaves are a nice healthy green....all of the plants are growing well....this is just an 'all of a sudden a few' situation where most of the cucumbers are still growing into a healthy green...but about 3 cucumbers (total) on 2 different plants were never green...just were yellow from the beginning and are now large and yellow. They are just a common slicing variety.
Thanks,
Linda

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 11:24AM
lazy_gardens

Taste them.

I have had summer squash go from producing yellow to producing green squashes. But they tasted good.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 1:44PM
kwyet1(z6 CT)

Thanks,
I have picked them and will try one this evening! The newer cukes on the same vine are growing green just fine.
These few were just wierd and I was afraid something had gone wrong....but I guess not.
Thanks all,
Linda

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 4:49PM
jeanettefurey_att_net

my cuke have been growing 1 month and i had 5 large yellow ones and they are solid and not spoiled...can i go ahead and pickle them...i love the bread and butter pickles.
please answer soon i picked the large ones.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 3:06PM
keldra21_yahoo_com

I went away on vacation for 2 weeks and I had tiny green cucs that turned as bright a yellow as the squash hey were planted next to. I have pickled them, eaten them in salads and they are fine. The only difference is as cucumbers go they are a bit "tougher" in texture than the younger greener versions. But they are great for pickles.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™