My new variegated peace lily (pic)

greattigerdane(z5NY)April 30, 2007

I saw some of these plants over the weekend for sale at a local nursery and I felt lucky that I was able snatch one up before they were all gone!

Billy Rae

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amany(MI / 6)

Billy Rae, your new peace lily is lovely. I've read about variegated peace lilies, but I've never seen one in the stores. You were smart to snatch it up.

Do variegated peace lilies need more light than non variegated ones?

Bookmark   May 1, 2007 at 5:51AM
greattigerdane(z5NY)

Thanks Amanda,

Yes, it wouldn't hurt to give this one just a "little bit more" bright light than the all green to keep the variegation bright with maybe some "late" afternoon sun as well and it should be fine.

Billy Rae

Bookmark   May 1, 2007 at 12:21PM
black-thumb

Nice Peace Lily!

Bookmark   May 5, 2007 at 12:17PM
birdsnblooms

Beautiful Peace Lily..expect to keep it many yrs..I think the variegated are easier to grow and bloom than the green. Toni

Bookmark   May 5, 2007 at 2:12PM
greattigerdane(z5NY)

Thanks black-thumb,

I re-potted it today because it was drying out two days after watering it. The pot was full of nothing but a ton of fat roots. There was maybe a half a cup of soil "inside" the middle of the root mass. NO soil whatsoever on the outside of the root-ball at all!

Toni,
Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing this one flower and someday propagating a few little ones!

Billy Rae

Bookmark   May 5, 2007 at 11:52PM
birdsnblooms

Oh Billy, it sure sounds like it needed re-potting..What size pot did you plant in? What size was the original pot? What material pot did u use?
Though they're not the prettiest containers on earth, I really prefer plastic pots, (plants are sold in) or clay. (though I wouldn't pot up a PL in a clay pot) Good luck w/your new baby..Toni

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 3:47PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi All,

Interestingly Toni, I found this varieg. one tougher to grow than the regular, which I also used to grow. Have since given up on Spaths, watering a bit too tricky for me now & it's a houseplant, that while quite lovely, I ended up quitting for the sake of more succulents & of course, more Hoyas!

For interested parties, these sometimes show up in supermarkets (nice sized one my at my market 1 or 2 yrs. ago for $9) &/or box stores, often called Spath "Domino".

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 11:29AM
black-thumb

Hi Billy Rae

Two of my other smaller peace lilies were like that too. No dirt just all root!

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 12:27PM
charlesh2008

I received a vargi lily from my neighbor, I repotted it as it appeared to root bound, it has done well with the eception of blooming, it tries to bloom, the blooms turn brown and die. what is the issue?? it is inside, not in direct sun light. thanks

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 1:53PM
tootswisc(z4/5Wi)

Is this plant in the same family of an aglaonema. Don't they look similiar. I have problems growing both peace lilies and aglaonemas.

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
Peace Lily -Black Leaves
This is a repost from 2005! I've reviewed every thread...
sylvan
Rubber tree plant questions
Hi all, I have a rubber tree plant that I'm trying...
dbforr
Need Help with the Id of This plant
I need to know the name of this plant and if its a...
lulu627
umbrella plant care
I recently bought an indoor umbrella plant just like...
desdurso
Do you like Cineraria with larger flowers?
I love spring Cineraria. I love this too -
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™