How big can croton leaves get? Reaching 16in in length on mine..

dalar_caMay 10, 2010

I have a five-plus year old, 5 foot tall croton at the moment, and it's pushing out leaves bigger than I've ever seen before. Previously the biggest were maybe 11 or 12 inches from stem to tip, but these new ones are just over 16 inches!

Also, the pattern has slightly changed this season. It's always had the same pattern, generally solid colors green w/yellow veins and spots, however it is now pushing out leaves with a fade from yellow to green. I know these plants can change how they look unexpectedly in the first couple years, but this plant I purchased in 2005, and it was likely at least a year old by then. Didn't expect changes by this point...

anyhow, how big can these leaves get? I thought I was already pushing the outer limits at 12 inches, but I guess not...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linda_schreiber(z5/6 MI)

Both the increasing leaf size, and the color shifts.... I would bet it needs more intense light. Is the spot it is in more shaded/sheltered over the last few years?

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 7:53PM
dalar_ca

Actually, if anything it's more intense this year. Though it is in a colder location. We moved last July and it hasn't moved since then, but previous springs it was in a warmer apartment with less light (west window both times, but this time it's huge bay windows). The insulation in this place isn't as good, and it's chilly out still.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 11:48PM
harris_jamal(7)

I remember reading somewhere that Cordyline colors become more intense when they are protected from hot weather.

I had a Croton in my old office that under went similar changes, increased coloration and leaf size. The yellows will eventually face to orange then red. Don't worry your plant is fine.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 1:03PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Wow and amazing beautiful Dalar!!!

How do you keep these lovely plants and the Cordyline exempt from SPIDERMITES????! I have never been able to own one with being attacked by these beasts!

Beautiful

Mike

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 2:42PM
dalar_ca

Ugh, mites, yeah, it gets them now and again and I just keep spraying for them. My smaller crotons have a harder time dealing with them, I really wish I could wipe the mites out completely, but nothing has worked so far. I've just decided to live with it and spray whenever I think of it. :)

I like how this plant is doing, just the color change threw me off, and the leaf size impressed me. I've noticed a lot of houseplants tend to get bigger leaves the taller they are (like pothos' when they're climbing high vs crawling), maybe it's the height having some effect. Five more years though and this thing will be hitting the ceiling :P

Now if I could get this one to flower once again, that'd be awesome.. been a couple years now. Several of my other crotons are flowering, got some fruit even and maybe seeds. Who knows what wonders may grow :)

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Many websites have indoor Azalea care information wrong
From my personal experience, Azalea can adjust to heat...
jujujojo_gw
Rubber tree plant questions
Hi all, I have a rubber tree plant that I'm trying...
dbforr
New ZZ Plant - Questions and Concerns
Picked up this ZZ Plant at the Philadelphia Flower...
ehuns27 7a PA
Zebra cactus update - still not looking great?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
Ming aralia
I've had a Ming Aralia in my cubicle for almost 6 months...
yuliju
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™