Lucky Bamboo Tap Water

rachels_haven(6)May 4, 2014

Just curious-
Do you always have to water lucky bamboo with distilled water? Will it slowly kill it to water a soil planted cluster with water from the tap? Debating whether or not to get a cluster soon and buying special water might be going a little bit far.

-Rachel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MsGreenFinger GW(8 Ireland)

I know you can read this everywhere, I don't think this is the no1. killer of these plants.
I have bamboos in water and some in soil and other dracaenas and they are doing well with half tap/half distilled water. I heard it is the high levels of chlorine and fluoride that harms them.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 6:25AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

What about catching rain water when the weather's nice? I use tap when plants come inside for winter, there's too many - I'd need a pallet of distilled water. But yeah, lots of stuff in tap water can make these plants ill. A lot depends on how you water, if plants ever get rained on, what exactly is in your tap water.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 1:01PM
gardenper(8)

You can make your own distilled water also.

If chlorine is a factor, you might be able to let it sit out for a few hours (up to 24 hours) and the chlorine would dissipate.

Buying distilled water for a few plants is not as bad as I thought either. I thought I may go through lots of distilled water like I would for a regular plant, but it seems that so far, the plants I have that don't like tap water, also take the distilled water in very slowly, so it is not even every 1 or 2 weeks that I might need to refill/re-water.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 1:08PM
asleep_in_the_garden

I managed to get through the whole winter without using tap at all,and I can totally relate to Purp's "too many" issue. It was a rough ride but now I can get rain again without having to melt snow...that was a pain! lol

Guess it goes without saying,that I'm pretty hard core about what I water with,be they "sensitive" or not.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 3:43PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Very dedicated, Asleep!

Volatile forms of chlorination will evaporate, non-volatile forms won't. If your municipality uses a non-volatile chlorination, sitting won't help remove it. Good to let tap come to room temp though, when necessary to use it.

Other stuff like fluoride and lime doesn't evaporate.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
A lighter gritty mix and a 5-1-1 question
Hey, So I love gritty mix and only have a few plants...
hottomato99
Spider plant looking pale
I have a spider that plant that has started to look...
ptsourkas
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Sponsored Products
Franklin Sofa - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Lucky Pet Bed Dog Bed
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Cabin Collection Wall-Mount Soap Dish
Signature Hardware
Indoor Area Rug: Thomaspaul Brown/Aqua 7' 9" Round
Home Depot
Tec Concealed 1 Outlet Twin Thermostatic Shower Valve (Oval Plate)
Hudson Reed
Polished Chrome Whitehaus WHFH-H3130 Curved Instant Hot Water Dispenser
$339.00 | Blue Bath
Oxford Road Architectural Bronze with Copper Highlights One-Light Outdoor Wall M
$139.90 | Bellacor
Handmade Boomerang Table
| Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™