Planting strips

shermthewerm(8 PNW)August 10, 2012

Not sure if anyone will want to admit to using these, but has anyone? It seems a little close to cheating.

I got some Ferry Morse seed strips on clearance (75% off!)--one carrot, one beet. Planted them a couple of weeks ago, and the germination rate seems to be close to 100%. They were easy to plant, but the thing I was really excited about was not having to thin the seedlings because it says so clearly on the package! But it really looks like the carrots are especially in need of thinning (although I'm not sure because I've never grown them).

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone's used these & if they had to thin.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_in_sask

A person posted some homemade seed tape on another forum. He took a roll of toilet paper, put tiny dabs of school glue on the squares, spaced evenly, and used that for adhering the seeds. It sounds a bit tedious...I tend to just sow my carrots in really wide rows, so there is less thinning needed.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 3:41PM
shermthewerm(8 PNW)

I read the post you're talking about, Donna. I would never go to all that trouble. I usually plant seeds the old fashioned way, but like I said these seeds were really cheap & I've kind of always wanted to try the strips. Anyway, just curious if they need to be thinned.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 4:02PM
stuffradio

One of those two wheeled seed planters would probably be easiest. It would not be the cheapest though.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 6:39PM
shermthewerm(8 PNW)

Yeah, the two-wheeled seed planters would be great. But honestly I'm fine planting seeds the "traditional" way.

I'm just wondering about the planting strips that I've already planted--do they need to be thinned even if the directions say they don't?

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 11:14PM
stuffradio

I would rely on personal judgement on if they need to be thinned. For Carrots, you could just thin small amounts at a time as they grow.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 12:30AM
More Discussions
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow in organic vegetables in coco coir ans spray...
little sur farm
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
What to direct seed in eastern pa
Hi everyone. I'm begining to plan my garden for spring,...
mfran12345
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™