Support for Jade/Crassula forum

teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)May 8, 2013

We on the cacti and succulent forum are trying to support a new jade forum. For so many people ask questions on jades. Do you on the houseplant forum agree

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I like that idea, but would prefer to first see a cacti/succulent ID forum added, like they did with roses. At least half of the discussions are ID requests. If those were separated to their own forum, C/S would be a lot better, IMHO. Totally agree, after ID requests, jade is probably the thing discussed there most frequently. Let me know how I can help your efforts.

Searching the word jade returns 2419 matches. A search for Coleus returns 2845 results. I would hope the Coleus forum I've already campaigned for would get priority, but have no idea who makes these decisions or how.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 10:48AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Sorry Purp, I disagree.

I'd hate to see ID requests removed from the rest of the C&S Forum, they're part & parcel of it (& to me, at least 1/2 the fun).

I don't find this broken & don't wish to see it fixed.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 11:50AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I respect that, people don't agree on everything. It's good for you to say so in writing, making it count.

If it's a debate, my rebuttal would be that I've found the glut of ID requests makes it nearly impossible to sustain a more in-depth discussion on that forum. I visit 20-30 GW forums daily, as well as several entirely separate gardening forum entities, so think I have a pretty good handle on that. For a short while C/S was one of them, but the ID requests overwhelmed me and I've given up visiting it unless I want to ask a question or search for specific info. It goes too fast to browse for useful general info, unlike most other forums, for me.

Also, that nothing would prevent you from separately clicking the ID forum. Nothing would be missing from your visit to GW.

Smiles, friend!

I would visit a jade forum, if that's what you want to hear, TG. Separating any sub topic popular enough to sustain its' own forum would ease the congestion in C/S, making it and whatever new forum more useful.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 12:32PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

So you want to separate ALL Crassulaceae from the Cacti and Succulents Forum? Or just jade? Makes little to no sense to me, either way.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:17PM
123Greta(9b)

I also DISAGREE! I think it's a terrible idea.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 2:45PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

Look at this discussion about jades. This will explain my reasoning

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0502545123131.html?48

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 2:58PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hey Purple, we're looking for very different things here, you & I.

I'm looking for less forums (speaking personally, not more). I work full time, commute an hour each way. I only want a couple of forums to check each day (if possible to get that much done). I wouldn't go to ID only forum (like I rarely go to 'Name That Plant' forum, unless it's a very slow day or I'm exceptionally bored).

While I do read most of the Jade threads, I rarely comment on them, don't grow Jades myself (can't keep 'em alive here). But I do grow several other forms of Crassulas & their relatives (Kalanchoes) & I'm pretty into the IDs.

Side Note: RomarieRo, you do a GREAT job on them, I'm always impressed by your ID abilities. Thx much & I learn a lot there from you too!

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 3:44PM
kaktuskris

I say Jades should stay in the C&S forum, as well as I.D.s. I am all about Diversity.

Christopher.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 6:03PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Pardon my typo above for Rosemarie Ro, guess maybe my bad typing thinks you need a new nickname. How abt RomaRo?? ;>)

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 6:25PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Leave 'em where they are, I say.
I love Jades dearly...but I probably wouldn't visit a purely Jade Forum.

Josh

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 6:35PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

"We on the cacti and succulent forum are trying to support a new jade forum.

I think saying some support a jade forum is more accurate.

I like the one stop shop that all succulents in one forum provides.

tj

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 7:01PM
asleep_in_the_garden

I just searched the FAQs at C&S looking for "jade" and it only had one hit.

Strange.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 7:24PM
asleep_in_the_garden

So if I were going to have to do the extra work to find all the threads that were relevant and move them all over to the new forum dedicated to them(after reading them all to determine whether or not they were worthy or whatnot),I would not look forward to the task.

Just saying. :)

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 11:15PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I think that we should be campaigning to reduce the number of forums, not increase them. GardenWeb is already difficult to navigate, especially for a newcomer.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 6:23AM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

You know, I agree

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:03AM
asleep_in_the_garden

Not too sure with whom or what you are agreeing... :)

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:14AM
auron22(6b OH)

Rhizo_1, I completely agree.
When I first came here the amount of forums was mind boggling and so many of them are barely active. It was really discouraging and drove me away for a while.

TG, I was also reading that post,
I don't think something so specific as "jade" would be very practical, especially since the intentions to create it are just to lure people with questions away from C/S. The forum could end up just being a bunch of questions with no answers. It might not even keep questions about jade out of C/S since the plant is easily perceived as relevant to the C/S forum.

Unfortunately, I don't really have any good ideas to help alleviate C/S of jade questions. Only to put "name that plant!" forum in really big, bold letters; hope more newcomers with ID questions will acknowledge it and go there before trying other forums.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:42AM
More Discussions
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
Low-e Windows Effect on Plants
We have lots of house plants. We wish to install energy...
peter_poet
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
Has anyone grown a coffee tree?
Hi Im curious has anyone tried growing a coffee tree?...
cynandjon
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™