Unusual squash(?)

AgriffAugust 26, 2013

Can anyone help me identify this? The closest I can come by doing an image search on Google is "Orange Magic Squash" from Reimer Seed Company. I have never ordered anything from them, and never intended to plant this. I cannot seem to find the envelope this came out of, but I know it was not a volunteer.

It is approximately 12" long, and 16" in diameter. You can see the pumpkin orange color. It's quite lovely, and I hope tasty, but I'm a little afraid to eat it since I'm not sure what it is! Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

Did you plant any yellow straight-necked summer squash?

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 4:00PM
Agriff

Nope. That was my first suspicion - yellow summer crossed with something, but I only planted zukes this year for summer squash.

It kind of looks like a yellow summer, but such a deep orange, and very hard-shelled. Oh, and quite warty!

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 4:08PM
farmerdill

The old OP straightnecks are quite warty when mature and have this general appearance. When dry it will be hollow like an ornamental squash/gourd. Most likely a mixed breed tho.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 4:16PM
Agriff

Do you think I should try to eat it?

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 5:00PM
farmerdill

It would be harmless in any event. If it is a straightneck and it is dried, all you find is a hard rind and a clump of seeds. No meat like a winter squash.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 5:52PM
glib(5.5)

It is a mongrel. It has happened to me many times. I have always eaten my mongrels. This year I had a zucchini turn into a bottle shaped gourd (I ate it, nothing special). Two years ago I had a winter squash, nominally a butternut, with butternut shape and Hubbard size and warty rind, which was one of the best tasting squashes I have ever had (I saved the seeds). I had to tie it to the trellis because it would have broken the vine. One other zucchini made a giant vine and is blooming only now. This has happened with both Territorial and Johnny seeds. With Territorial melon seeds I had a veritable house of ill repute, and numerous soapy tasting melons.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 10:03PM
ltilton

I'm sorry to hear that about Territorial seeds.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 5:29AM
More Discussions
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™