Fiddle leaf fig propagation disaster

slettvinMay 2, 2007

Hi all,

In the past I have successfully propagated new plants from my very leggy Fiddle leaf by air layering with black sphagnum moss encased in plastic, so...I decided to do it again. This time I used a different king of moss - the light brown stuff you use for hanging baskets. Since I had such success the last time, after the 8 week period, I cut them off before unwrapping them to check. Dumb move. There were no roots! I tried to dip them in Rootone, and put them in soil, but they are starting to droop, so I took them out of the soil, and they are in water now. Is there any way to save these cuttings? They are quite large and beautiful, and I would hate to loose them!

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trace00969

This just happened to me as I tried to air layer my rubber tree, and it didnt take either. I put the cutting in water, and it is sprouting roots now, took a couple weeks, buy its working. You might want to try cutting it again and putting it right into medium....I prefer water to root, I have better luck with it.

Hope this helps!!

Tracy

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 10:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fiddlefriend

Please help, I need instruction on air layering method of propagation to use on my 20 year old 18ft tall Fiddle leaf fig plant that I planted in my front yard when we were both younger.

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Unknown house plant
I bought this Exotic Angel plant at Home Depot and...
bouldergrower
Schefflera and corn plant sharing a pot?
Anyone tried planting schefflera and Dracaena Fragrans...
Peter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™