Confederate Jasmine "Madison" as houseplant?

wendync(7b)May 16, 2013

Hey guys,

So my husband and I were at Lowes yesterday and I was checking out the plants outdoors and walked into this cloud of wonderful scents. I looked around and saw all the Jasmines and Honeysuckles. Sitting there were several Conderate Jasmine "Madison" plants, with tons of flowers. I bought one.

I was curious as to if this plant would flower and do well in my sunroom so I could have that fragrance in my house! I would only do this if I thought it would do well and not just suffer and flower poorly in there.

The sunroom has an eastern exposure on one side and a southern exposure on the other, however, there are our woods that occlude the sun a bit during different times of the day, so it gets a filtered amount of direct sun.

If not, I can just place it out front near our walkway, which gets full sun just about all day. Info on this plant? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theficuswrangler(9/10)

I have seen pictures of confederate jasmine used as a houseplant, though I've never tried one myself. I have them growing in my back yard in a very heavily shaded area, and they are still flowering, though not as vigorously as before the trees grew up around them. They only flower for 3 or 4 weeks in April or May, though, so don't expect that glorious scent to last.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 7:47PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I think that this plant, which isn't a jasmine at all, would merely languish inside a home.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 8:02PM
restoner(6B-7A)

I think Madison is supposed to be a more cold tolerant type. IâÂÂve planted it outside twice and it died both times (Winter cold). I was thinking of growing it as a houseplant for a couple of years hoping a bigger plant would take the cold better. HavenâÂÂt tried it as a houseplant yet, so would love to hear if it would work. If you decide to plant it outside, IâÂÂm pretty sure it doesnâÂÂt like full sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google book result about trachelospermum jasminoides madison

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 9:35PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I think that this plant, which isn't a jasmine at all, would merely languish inside a home.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 10:12PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

The fragrant forum would be your best bet for finding others doing this.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Rubber tree plant questions
Hi all, I have a rubber tree plant that I'm trying...
dbforr
New ZZ Plant - Questions and Concerns
Picked up this ZZ Plant at the Philadelphia Flower...
ehuns27 7a PA
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Can anyone help identify this plant?
I was given this plant a while back from my mother-in-law...
Danielle
Avocado Plant Dying
I bought this grafted dwarf Wurtz avocado tree this...
nobbyv77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™