Oxalis/purple shamrock

i_love_flowersMay 17, 2011

I have a purple shamrock that I bring in in the Winter and recently I noticed that it was looking really bad so I took a closer look. It looks like it might have powdery mildew but I'm not sure. Everything I've read so far make it sound like the mildew should be on top of the leaves. My plant has white powdery circles on the underside of the leaves and the top of the leaves have dark brown/black dried up spots...sort of looks like blight spots. Does this still sound like powdery mildew and what should I use to get rid of it? I have already taken off lots of infected leaves but almost the whole plant is infected so that would leave almost no leaves. Should I just cut the whole thing back and let it start over. Help please!

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

A picture would be helpful.

But, I can tell you what I would do if this were my plant. I'd absolutely cut it all the way back to the soil level and allow it to dry out and go dormant for a few weeks.

When it is ready to be placed outside again, give it a good drenching and plenty of light and it will likely regrow with good vigor. No promises, though, since we don't know what the problem was in the first place.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 12:28PM
i_love_flowers

I'm not sure how to post pictures on here. Do I need to use the link below? I think I will probably cut it completely back and start over. Hopefully it will come back healthy as I really like this plant. Thanks for your reply

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 10:59AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

To post pix here, you need to pls. use a photohosting site like Photobucket or Flicker (both of which are free).

After uploading your pix there first, then from there, you can upload them to here. I use Photobucket.com so I'll speak to that. From there, you'll need the third line of code (I believe it's the one for HTML), copy & paste that code in here once you've started a post. It'll look like gibberish until you look in the Preview, which if done correctly, will result in you seeing the pic, if not, try again.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
Pachira browning
Hi, all! My Pachira needs help. The trunk is not soft...
deborahsab
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Fiddle Leaf Fig & Baby Jade help...
I've had this fiddle leaf fig for about a year. Why...
sjhermann
Fiddle Leaf Ficus brown edges, lighter color veins
I have the Fiddle Leaf Ficus for 2 years now. It was...
vlauz7b
Money tree problems
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Money Tree. It...
jl108
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™