broccoli direct seed outdoors

SunshineZone7(7)August 10, 2014

Our first frost date is approx Oct 21. I decided to direct sow broccoli a couple weeks ago and nothing has come up. Too hot outside? I have never grown broccoli before. I also planted some carrot seeds...same thing no germination. The beets germinated though.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

broccoli emerges quickly, so it is probable that the soil is too hot. I started mine in a shaded plant bed in mid July and they are a couple inches tall at the moment.. Should be perfect transplant around labor day.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 5:32PM
SunshineZone7(7)

Gotcha. So can I wait until sept to direct sow or should I start them inside? Or should I start them outside out of the sun and then transplant?

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 7:57PM
farmerdill

I start them in a shaded spot in July. Transplant in September, harvest thanksgiving into January. They will not stand much lower temps than 22 degrees so I would expect that you are too late to start seeds now. December can get into the teens in most zone 7.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 8:27PM
Peter1142(Zone 6b)

I started mine outside in 85F hot summer and they grew just fine with daily watering. Alas, someone ate all the nice looking seelings that were a few inches tall.

Pest pressure in the summer is very high and my fall crop plantings are not going well, my carrots also got eaten as did some lettuce that made it into summer -- and I have a fence around my garden.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 11:08AM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

I found that direct seeding did not work as well as starting seeds in plastic pots where I can control things. Out in the garden the flea beetles or something would half-way decimate the young seedlings.

I have already transplanted #2 planting of broccoli. I find them to have NO stress that way.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 11:15AM
grandad_2003(9A/sunset 28)

Just seeded my first planting last saturday in outdoor shaded seed boxes. One and two year old seed sprouted on tuesday.

This post was edited by grandad on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 16:28

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
weed or seedling
In the area of this seedling my daughter put radish...
sepulvd
Why is Zucchini Stem Splitting?
This is my first year growing zucchini. It's in a container...
Cliff Pruitt
what do I do with sprouting sweet potatoes?
It way to early to plant the sprouts.. need to be near...
jeanwedding
Artichoke Failure, HELP!!!
I am in zone 7a, middle TN, and attempting to grow...
Trinacria
Long post but help please?
Okay, So. This year I started all my vegetables from...
jenandwya
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™