Every day plants in decorative containers

scsva(7/VA)May 7, 2011

I'm beginning to have a real pet peeve with some of the big box stores. I'm sure that the plants in question are coming from EA (one of the suppliers anyway) but I'm seeing shelves of overpriced average every day plants in decorative pots. They are priced more than twice as much if they were sold separately. To top it all off, the little plants have roots coming out the bottom so they're ready to be potted up anyway. So what good does it do anyone to buy one to display? I wish they would clear their shelves to make room for all those little starter plants.

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Susan, I agree 100%..Stores actually are charging for 'undersized' pots. Big box stores pay a fraction what we end up paying..

EA is one out of a few nurseries big box stores buy from..HD changed to another supplier..Wish I kept the tag..the name is listed on the label.
I haven't seen an EA plant at HD at least half a year. Hanging or pots.

Walmart has done the same. Our Walmart recently remodeled. Before, there was a huge room dedicated to indoor plants. The last time we went, there was one stand with small, ceramic potted house plants. Priced, 8.99-9.99 for common, 4 and 5" every-day plants. Without the pot, these plants would have cost 2.99-3.99. Oh, these 'fancy' pots were without drainage holes..Sheesh!

Are there any local green house/nurseries around your house? They don't bother with ornate pots..their plants are in plastic, growing pots.

I guess we could write Corporate. If enough people complained, the Suits might think twice..They're losing money. True indoor gardeners aren't going to waste money for unwanted pots. The thing to do is write and stop buying. Eventually, they might stop selling common plants in high-priced containers, go back to growing pots, and decrease prices.

I have bought, reduced priced, ceramic potted plants, thrown in the 'Dead Cart.' A name I made up yrs ago. lol.
Most are tossed in carts, marked down as low as .10, depending on the type of plant.

I think we who believe, over-priced potted plants are a waste, should write Corporate, per store.. Toni

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 1:31PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

And to make matters worse, some of those containers are UUUUgggglllllyyy! ;-)

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 3:26PM
scsva(7/VA)

From the looks of it, the rest of the public are not buying either. It doesn't appear that they are selling at all.

Susan

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 5:12PM
birdsnblooms

Susan..which stores and plants do you mean? Thanks, Toni

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 1:01PM
scsva(7/VA)

All big box stores and still talking about the regular plants in decorative containers. The shelves remain full of them.

Susan

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 10:08AM
MojaveLove(5 - IL)

Costa Farms is one of the HD suppliers.

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Spot for Calathea ornata and Ctenanthe oppenheimiana tricolor
Will they like the same spot as my Marantha leuconeura? Beside...
MsGreenFinger GW
Has anyone grown a coffee tree?
Hi Im curious has anyone tried growing a coffee tree?...
cynandjon
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
My Spider Plant Again......
Out of all my plants this one just seems to get everything....
MrBlubs
Help me save my cat Palm!!
Hi, I've had my palm for almost a year now, the first...
connor55
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™