Cut flowers..

stephanie_k(z5IL)May 14, 2013

I got some cut flowers from my grandson for Mother's Day. On the back of the leaves there where all these little bumps. At first I thought they were seeds but after looking I am sure they are insect eggs. Can anyone tell me for sure? If they are insect eggs, is there any chance they will hatch inside of my house? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Those are fern fronds, with spores on the back. Instead of making flowers, fern reproduce this way. You're in no danger of any invasion, unless you have potted plants nearby, a fern might sprout if that's possible from these cut leaves. No need to do anything but enjoy the bouquet until the flowers fade. Great grandson!!

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 12:59PM
stephanie_k(z5IL)

That was what I was thinking but then the more I looked at the leaves I didn't think they really looked like a fern.

Thanks Purple

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 2:14PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

Those spore cases are immature and therefore cannot sprout and grow

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 2:17PM
asleep_in_the_garden

As a confessed compulsive propagator I have to admit that I would try germinating the spore-culture just to see if I could do it...and THEN worry about what to do with a gazillion little ferns.

Unrepentant. :)

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 2:32PM
flowerpottipper

Ferns come in so many different forms than what I use to think (my minds always go to the boston fern) but they come in all shapes and sizes. I dont personally collect ferns, I think they're pretty boring plants that need too much humidity then I can give...but every summer I go on a family camping trip up the the mountains near Mt. Rainier in Washington state and I love looking at those spores on the back of ferns, they're just so cool looking. The patterns are just neat so I always take alot of pics of them...

sorry for the off topic, I always get these pointless thoughts LOL.

-FPT

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 6:10PM
asleep_in_the_garden

Unless they were immature and therefore could not sprout and grow. :(

Who are we kidding?

I'd try anyway! LOL

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 6:11PM
stephanie_k(z5IL)

The spores are popping open. What to do with them. Will they grow?

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 5:36PM
asleep_in_the_garden

My first guess would be to do something like cutting it up and shaking it up in a handful of peat in a gallon ziplock or anything convenient and air tight. Get it moist and "burp" the container now and then but otherwise leave it alone and I bet something happens. :)

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 6:54PM
theficuswrangler(9/10)

Aren't those the coolest looking things? One way to tell spores from insects(like scale) or insect eggs is that spores are symmetrical and arranged the same on each leaf, bugs just scatter their nasty selves every which way.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
New ZZ Plant - Questions and Concerns
Picked up this ZZ Plant at the Philadelphia Flower...
ehuns27 7a PA
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Ming aralia
I've had a Ming Aralia in my cubicle for almost 6 months...
yuliju
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™