Anyone ID this plant?

jumby(7)May 16, 2012

looks like some sort of grass or palm to me. inherited this plant at work. was about to die in someone else's office so they gave it to me. no clue what it is. was near death so i repotted in some well draining soil. leaves are variegated. it constantly looks near death but is always poking up a nice new green leaf from the center but they quickly turn brown and dry. sharpie in pic for a size reference.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Sorry, but I believe that IS dead, I think it WAS a corn plant (some kind of Dracena?).

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 1:49PM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

I too think it may be dead, a dead Dracaena reflexa perhaps, but the life in the stem continues to push out a small leaf, and because the rest of the stem is dead, the new leaf has no chance.

Strip the dead leaves off the stem and see if there is a change in the stem with respect to brown and shriveling and green and succulent. If you find some green succulent stem, cut the dead part off and try to root the rest in water.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 2:54PM
jumby(7)

it has been doing this since i got it months ago. it just keeps pushing out new leaves. only repotted it a few weeks ago. when i did i got rid of all the dead stems

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 7:07PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Apparently not. Sorry, but I still say it's dead.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 8:42PM
birdsnblooms

Looks like Dracaena Sanderiana.

Carefully bend the trunk. If it's dry/brittle, it's dead, if it bends w/o breaking, there's still life.

One thing about 'some' Dracaenas, they sometimes send up two or three new shoots. Not attached to mom's trunk...they can sprout anywhere in the pot.

For now, I'd remove dead leaves.

BTW, what size is the pot? It looks way too large for two small plants.
When my Dracaenas were that size, they were potted in 4-5" pots. As trunks and roots grew, they were repotted one to two sizes up.

Good luck, Toni

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Febuary Flowers
This is my month!! I finally have a decent amount of...
teengardener1888
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™