Buttercup squash

LoveLilacs10(3)August 6, 2014

Hello, I have a buttercup squash that's still on the vine, it's been looking the same for the past two weeks, while I see another buttercup squash set and getting bigger.

What should I do? Should I just leave this one there? Or should I cut it off so there's more nutrition for other squash to set? How long does it usually take for it to go into full size? I live in zone 3 so Frost is probably coming end of september or beginning of october...

Thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldgardenguy_zone6

I would cut it off if you think its malformed or won't reach maturity melons are that way the vine can only support so many

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 5:45PM
LoveLilacs10(3)

thanks for your reply, how long does it usually take for a squash to mature to full size though?

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 5:54PM
tcstoehr

If it hasn't grown in two weeks, it never will. Cut it off or leave it there, it makes no difference. Maturing to full size versus maturing to ripeness are two different things. To ripen... maybe 6 weeks... at least. Buttercup is a C. Maxima hard-shelled winter squash. Best quality comes from leaving it on the vine as long as there is life in the vine, and maybe longer. And then storing the harvested squashes indoors for 2 months. But if you want to eat sooner, you should at least wait until the shell hardens to the point where your thumb nail won't break thru the rind, being too leathery-hard and tough. Some fruits may not ever get to that point and will last the least amount of time in storage, so eat those first. They aren't full ripe but can make pretty good eatin' anyway.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 11:58AM
More Discussions
Are winter squash leaves edible?
for example, butternut squash?
takadi
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™