Meyer Lemon

adelae(Georgia 6b)May 5, 2013

Hi! I recently bought a Meyer lemon at a greenhouse, it is about 3ft tall and covered in lemons and blooms. It has a whitefly problem, I've been taking it outside and spraying it down with neem. I've had it for a week and it has dropped several leaves. It's not enough that it would be noticeable if I didn't have to pick them up...but it still worries me. The lemons and blooms look healthy. Is this just a bit of shock from being moved? It is in a room full of windows and it getting an East (mostly) and NE exposure. It is still to cold where I live to move it outside, but it gets lots of sunlight. Should I be worried? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Whenever a plant is shedding leaves for no readily apparent reason, it's time to take notice & review those things that COULD cause leaf loss. A reduction in light levels often causes some leaf loss, sometimes severe in particular trees - like Ficus. Tight roots and conditions of high moisture/low oxygen in the root zone also cause a drought response that manifests in the shedding of leaves. Plants can't think, they can only react; so when the root zone is flooded & compacted, plants can't easily take up water. The result is a plant dying of thirst in a sea of plenty because it can't effectively take up or move water - thus the drought response & raining leaves.

Al

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 8:54PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Indeed, it is as Al says.
The Meyer lemon is particularly sensitive to changes in light and temperature. When you do move it outdoors, put it in partial shade to increasing sun over the course of two weeks.

Josh

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 2:43PM
adelae(Georgia 6b)

Thanks for your help! I hope it doesn't drop any more leaves, new blossoms are opening up now and new buds are even forming. I guess this is a good sign? Also, I'd like to move it at some point out of the black growers pot and into terra cotta, when would you folks recommend I do this? It is draining well and I would guess it is not pot bound as it is in a large pot, but I like clay pots so much better than plastic. Even with drainage holes I just don't feel like they drain as they should. And thanks for the tips about moving outdoors!

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 12:03PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

If you're only potting up, you can do that any time, though it's best to do it when the plant is actively growing. Repotting is best done in the spring, but it can also be done right after a period of robust growth (citrus tends to add top growth in spurts followed by rest) spring through fall.

Al

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
Dying Calathea Plant
Hello all! I have recently started getting interested...
avanns
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
Can i repot a pothos by sticking it in a larger pot and adding soil?
I have some pothos that are in 4 inch pots. I need...
tlbean2004
Money tree problems
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Money Tree. It...
jl108
I believe this is a corn plant... it's blooming and very frangrant!
I recently acquired this house plant from someone that...
kinziestarr
Sponsored Products
Homelegance Meyer Twin Daybed w/ Pull Out Trundle in Brown Vinyl
Beyond Stores
Paula Deen Down Home Wicker Chair - 197637
$485.00 | Hayneedle
Paula Deen Down Home Corries Counter Stool - Molasses - Set of 2 - UNIR1327
$730.00 | Hayneedle
Homelegance Meyer Twin over Twin Bunk Bed in Espresso
Beyond Stores
Set of Two Mediterranean Mixer Packs
$38.95 | FRONTGATE
Paula Deen River House Kitchen Table - River Boat - UNIR2097
Hayneedle
Paula Deen Home Paulas Dining Table - Tobacco - 932653
Hayneedle
Paula Deen Down Home Pull-Up Backless Counter Stool - Oatmeal - Set of 2 Multico
$580.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™