Mikado plant care

rosebuddy(z5Ont)May 19, 2009

At my nursery to bring home some garden plants and also saw this houseplant called Mikado (Syngonanthus chrysanthus). Never saw one before so of course brought it home. Does it need to be in water at all times? Right now it's in a soup bowl with an inch of water. Any directions for its care would be appreciated. I swear this nursery has me on its gps and sets out unusual plants when it sees me coming.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanw_4wi(4/SW WI)

lol @ gps!

I had this last year, and let it get too dry late in the season, so it eventually died.

I didn't keep mine in water at all times, but set it in a bowl of water when it began to show signs of dryness.

Mine was on my sunporch with direct sun for a large part of the day, and lots of 'daytime warmth' I'll call it, as some of the nights were cool, which didn't seem to affect the plant.

I had bought mine in February, I think, and it lived and grew nicely until I'd forgotten to water it when I brought it indoors during the winter.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 11:42AM
honeybunny442(z6 TN)

I've read where it needs bright but indirect light. Temp 20-22 ideal, will tolerate 14C-30C. Flowers last 10 weeks and it flowers 50 wks out of the year.
I have mine in a saucer of water too, not confident enough to remember to water it almost every day.

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 2:35PM
marlene7298

My mikado plant is dying despite my watering. Is it possible to revive it?

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 2:57PM
Will07(5)

Never had any luck with these. I think if you can successfully grow Venus' Flytrap you could grow these. Never had any luck with those either until recently. I took an empty glass pickle jar (with out the lid) put some small rocks in the bottom maybe about 1/2 -3/4 of an inch, and just dropped the pot with the almost dead flytrap in the centre. Kept the water just to the top of the rocks. It's been about 2 and a half months and it's doing fantastic. It flowered, and has at least 3 or 4 fully developed mouths with many more new ones. It's in bright light most of the day and gets some direct sun. I'm almost certain this should work for your mikado. You've got nothing to lose if you want to give it a try!

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
Options to water the plant while away from office .
Dear All Would like to know your opinions on any options...
lukein123
Recommended general fertilizer for house plants?
I have a few different green leafy things, random cuttings,...
sunnyvalley
Is my pothos dying?
I bought a beautiful verigated pothos a few weeks ago...
Avantika
Fiddle Leaf Fig & Baby Jade help...
I've had this fiddle leaf fig for about a year. Why...
sjhermann
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
Sponsored Products
Canterbury Arbor - 42" Opening
Fifthroom.com
Triple Dancing Lady Silk Flower Arrangement
Overstock.com
Black Orchid Ring Catch
$69.00 | Horchow
Bougainvillea Bouquet
$525.00 | Horchow
2-Pc. Cube Planter in Cobalt
$9.99 | Dot & Bo