Tips on Sowing Amaryllis Seed Pls?

pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)May 29, 2012

Hi All,

Last week at a meeting of my local Indoor Gardening Society, someone shared Amaryllis seeds. Anyone have experience w/ these?

I'm contemplating sowing 'em in a mix of chopped up long sphag & perlite (50/50) moistened (as I did my Hoya seeds & my Schlumbergera seeds) which are now about 5 & 6 months old respectively.

Had read online they can be started floating in water but the poster suggested they got better overall results sowing directly to mix.

Thoughts, opinions pls? TIA

(PG) Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aseedisapromise

There is lots of discussion on this in the hippie forum. Check out the FAQ. You do have to find your topic in the list, then scroll down until you come to it. Lots of links about germinating seed. I have had good luck floating mine in water, 90-100% success.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amaryllis FAQ

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 12:15PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Wow, ASeedIs,

On point indeed, thanks much, for an excellent link & lots to read. Now I just have to decide btwn water floating 'em vs. potting 'em up in mix. Terrific reading, thanks.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 1:22PM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

Karen,
I have grown hippie seeds not amaryllis. Two different plants. One from Africa and one from South America. They do look similar but amaryllis seeds are round and hippie seeds are flat. I do believe they both can be grown this way;
I soak seeds in warm water with root tone mixed in. 24 hrs. them put in a container like they sell roasted chicken in. Black plastic bottom with clear plastic dome top. Makes the perfect green house to sprout the seeds in. Any good fine potting mix will do. Keep moist but not wet and with the lid almost closed. Place the seeds on the soil not covered. The hi moist conditions will help them sprout. In a week or so, it will look like grass growing, them years before you see or get anything. Remember, anything can come from a seed. One that has never been around before. So I guess it is worth the fun of trying.
Funny, I just described the same method I use to grow clivia seeds on off topic on the Sans forum.
Stush
Also almost all the seed sprout if fresh.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 9:10PM
aseedisapromise

Hi Stanly and Karen,

I didn't even think about the amaryllis/hippiastrum difference, I just assumed that Karen meant hippies. So I am glad that you are making this clear, in case the seed really are amaryllis ones. Thanks!

Barb

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
Has anybody seen the micro ZZ Plant "Zamicro"?
They are a smaller amd more compact cultivar of the...
tlbean2004
How to make this fiddle leaf branch out.
This is a fiddle leaf that I wanted to buy on Craigslist....
Pete
Looking for the 'old' members
I see that Tisha still posts, yay! Hi! :-) I'm in touch...
hobby_libby
Can i repot a pothos by sticking it in a larger pot and adding soil?
I have some pothos that are in 4 inch pots. I need...
tlbean2004
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
Sponsored Products
Tacoma Pine 3-ft Artificial Christmas Tree
Overstock.com
Lumiere' 1-lt Outdoor Wall Sconce
LBC Lighting
Elden Rug 5'6" x 8'6" - WHITE
$639.00 | Horchow
Rico Espinet Buster Globe Aged Brass Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Knoll | Pollock Arm Chair
YLiving.com
Glove Leather Ottoman in Red
$379.00 | LexMod
Edushape 22 Piece Sensory Balance Toy - 715168
$23.99 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Lavelle Blanc California King Wing Mansion Bed -...
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™