New Houseplant ID...already tried looking myself.

iambeanMay 30, 2010

I tried finding these two new houseplants on various pages and in a book we have but I had no luck.

Plant One came with a tag that said "Polyscias Aralia" on it. When I type that in I get a variety of plants back, many looking nothing like the plant shown here:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2wbw70y.jpg

Plant TWO...came with no ID tag....except "assorted foliage"

http://i48.tinypic.com/200zort.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi Iam,

Well I know what they are: the first has a partially correct tag, it's an Aralia all right, but not the Polyscias. It's a Balfour Aralia or Aralia Balforiana. This is one of my most favorite plants of all time & I currently have one too. If you do a search here, at this Forum, you may come up w/ a post I made several months ago which included my pix of this plant & perhaps a comment that this plant doesn't come up here much.

Now that you know it's name you can look up it's care, but it want bright, indirect light & benefits from a pebble tray.

The 2nd plant is (I believe) a Pilea or Aluminum Plant which I don't know much about (except that I believe it needs humidity).

Nice finds, enjoy!

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 12:13AM
izharhaq

Yes I second the above IDs, the Aluminum plant is "Pilea cadierei", it is a cold and drought sensitive plant but do well if properly cared.

Aralias are one of the toughest plants I have seen, don't know much about their cold hardiness but the other requirements are negligible.. responds very well with regular fertilizers.. a very good choice..

Izhar

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 7:59AM
katsrevenge42(7)

That first is also often called a 'dinnerplate' aralia. Mine's tag says Polyscias balfuriana. I bought it a year ago for a quarter off a 'dead and dieing' rack at Lowes. I just wired it up for indoor bonsai. Awesome little tree, very tough. It likes humidity and to not be allowed to dry out.

The second I don't have but I'll second the aluminum plant ID.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 12:56AM
stinkybuds

A balfouriana is in fact a member of the polyscias family, Aralia is just the common name.

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Good Growing Practices - An Overview
I am reposting this thread because the transition from...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Spot for Calathea ornata and Ctenanthe oppenheimiana tricolor
Will they like the same spot as my Marantha leuconeura? Beside...
MsGreenFinger GW
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
Name that plant!
I found this plant at Walmart with the usual "foliage"...
elizabeth_101
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™