Need some tips on this

barb_roselover_inMay 15, 2012

I don't know if this is the correct forum or not. My son sent me a bonsai Azalea for Mother's Day. There was very little information on this, and my son doesn't know either, but he thought this would be something that I would get pleasure from. Would anybody give me some info? I don't want to kill this. I'm concerned about the watering and I think I have to keep it trimmed. I would appreciate any information. Could it be kept outside in my small little antiquated, unheated greenhouse, or should I keep it with my other house plants? I'm at a loss and feel really dumb about it. Thanks in advance. Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi Barb,

Sorry, I don't have advice for you, but pls. don't feel dumb. Not knowing is just not knowing. Could you perhaps contact the vendor from where it came?

I believe there's a current thread here now, called Azalia Tree as Houseplant. Pls. look for that, it discusses whether the plant is hearty or not (some are not winter or outdoor hearty, some are), that seems to be key.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 8:41PM
stonesriver(6B Tennessee)

Like pirate_girl says, don't feel dumb. We all have to start somewhere and no matter how much you know there's more to learn.

Have you tried the Bonsai forum? It has several posts on azalea bonsai.

Good luck,

Linda

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 11:05PM
mrmothernature

Azaleas prefer cooler temps below 70 degrees, but can survive warmer temps as long as they are well watered. Once a tightly potted Azalea gets a bit too dry, it will shed dry leaves in a big hurry. It is best to monitor the soil moisture regularly to avoid allowing it to dry beyond the surface of the soil.

Lots of indoor sunlight is also beneficial. Like all bonsais, it will need regular pruning to maintain its miniaturized from.

~Will

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
Need Help with the Id of This plant
I need to know the name of this plant and if its a...
lulu627
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
Is bud blast of big-box store Phalaenopsis genetic?
I love houseplants. Phals make great houseplants. I...
jujujojo_gw
Many websites have indoor Azalea care information wrong
From my personal experience, Azalea can adjust to heat...
jujujojo_gw
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™