How to Care for Patchouli as a Houseplant?

MissCricket(5A)May 24, 2012

I've heard of people keeping patchouli as a houseplant, so when I found one at my local garden center I decided to allow myself an impulse buy. It won't keep overwinter outdoors where I live, and we occasionally have unforeseen cold snaps in July, so I'd prefer to keep it indoors.

Does anyone have any experience with it? What type of growing medium does it prefer? For now I'm just going to put it in some regular houseplant potting soil, but I'm sure it'd like something a little more substantial. There isn't a lot of natural light in my house, especially in winter, so I imagine I'll need a grow light. What sort of lux is appropriate for house plants? Would it be satisfied with an aquarium grow light? I have a fixture with bulbs that give out about 8,000 lux. Are there other things I should be concerned about? Diseases? Watering? I've read patchouli likes to be kept fairly moist but can rot quickly if overwatered. I sure hope I can keep it alive, I really like this little plant. It makes the room smell like the 60's!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hexalm

I have no experience with it, but it seems like you could treat it like most any other herb. Take care not to overwater and don't let it dry out between waterings, is what I'm hearing from the searching I just did.

I'd just google "patchouli as houseplant" (ignoring results from ehow.com) if you haven't yet.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
Can i repot a pothos by sticking it in a larger pot and adding soil?
I have some pothos that are in 4 inch pots. I need...
tlbean2004
The "Show Off" Thread
I love coming to this site for all kinds of useful...
savannaicus
Spider plant looking pale
I have a spider that plant that has started to look...
ptsourkas
Who am I?
I was at WM and this fellow was on clearance and jumped...
savannaicus
House Plants
Dracaenta Marginata
davers71
Sponsored Products
Jovanna 2-Seat Outdoor Bench
Grandin Road
Matrix Stainless Steel Four-Light Crystal Swarovski Elements Wall Sconce, 24.5W
Bellacor
Furniture of America Cottage 2-drawer Coffee Table
Overstock.com
Mirror Ball Stand by Tom Dixon