Anyone else LOVE spider plants?

wandering_willow(6 NYC)May 19, 2010

So I was just looking at my spider plant, who I affectionately call Charlotte (from a favorite childhood book, Charlotte's Web, lol) and felt like doing a little tribute
to these wonderful plants! Anyone else here love them? It's nice that they thrive off benign neglect, and seem to be the perfect apartment plant, and I just love how
they produce all those babies and cute little white flowers! Does anyone know of any other plants that produce plantlets on
runners like spider plants? I think its adorable! Anyway, I'd love to see pictures of other people's spiders! Best,

Willow

Here is a bad picture of my big momma - Charlotte :) I'm sorry the picture is so big, I don't know how to shrink it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bunnygurl(Z3)

I know that Saxifraga sarmentosa (Strawberry Begonia - it's not a Begonia despite the common name) grows plantlets on runners. It also (as far as I've noticed) does well on benign neglect however to a very slightly lesser degree.

This is my Spider Plant. It's in a 10in plastic pot with like, a million babies. I grew it from just a little tiny plantlet started 3 years ago off of my mother's plant, which she's since killed. Yours looks so happy!
It looks a little deflated in this pic 'cause it was thirsty when it was taken. It puffs up substantially when not thirsty.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 10:58PM
wandering_willow(6 NYC)

Yours looks adorable! and very happy too! Those Strawberry "Begonias" are very cute too! might havta add it to my list haha. Thanks for sharing the pic!!

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 1:18PM
bunnygurl(Z3)

Strawberry Begonias are cute. They're very tolerant and if you're lucky they'll send up a flower stalk in the middle of the plant. I, however, have never had mine flower for me...so I dunno what it takes.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 1:04AM
More Discussions
Has anyone grown a coffee tree?
Hi Im curious has anyone tried growing a coffee tree?...
cynandjon
Spot for Calathea ornata and Ctenanthe oppenheimiana tricolor
Will they like the same spot as my Marantha leuconeura? Beside...
MsGreenFinger GW
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
Pruning Ficus Lyrata (fiddle leaf fig)
Hi everyone! I have a 5 foot tall healthy, indoor ficus...
erich60660
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™