What is that on my Christmas Cactus? Pics

pudgybabyMay 12, 2011

There is something growing on my Christmas cactus (or is it a spring cactus - is there such a thing?) that looks like a tiny barrel cactus. Is this normal? I have pics, but let me say that I am embarrassed by them because it looks unhealthy - the stem parts are kind of tan and dead looking and there is cracking/scarring. But it's just wrapping up flowering with a few buds and flowers hanging on, so it's healthy enough, I guess.

The barrel cactus thing is about 3/4 inch long and has flat leaf type things coming out the top that look just like other normal Christmas cactus leaves. Have you seen ever seen this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hello!
It seems to be a reversion.
Check the Thread I linked below ;-)

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Easter Cactus! - Bloated cactus-like leaves?

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 8:08PM
pudgybaby

Thanks, Josh! How strange. I'll just keep watching it and see what it does. That other thread said that these may occur more often when the plant is stressed, which is definitely the case with my plant :(

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 8:45PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Schizophrenia. Or multiple personality disorder. Yeah, that's the one. Your cactus is turning into something else in order to escape the trauma of its real life.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 10:59PM
dvdNJ(z6 NJ)

fyi -- I do believe that they call the "spring cactus" Easter cactus?

Last year my 'spring' cactus' put out a plethora of lovely light pink flowers -- this year, none. :-(

That is really odd regarding your "mutation" -- makes one wonder if some of these plants aren't "creations" of humans.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
Moisture Meter?
I have a mechanical moisture meter, and it has increasingly...
trclac
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Many websites have indoor Azalea care information wrong
From my personal experience, Azalea can adjust to heat...
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™