Pachypodium lamerei trunk chop?

keltic_pickleMay 23, 2013

I have a Pachypodium lamerei that is getting quite tall. I was wondering if it's possible to chop the trunk back on this plant? I've always shortened my Euphorbias by chopping them back and propagating new plants with the parts I prune off. Is this sort of thing possible with Pachypodiums? The trunk is pretty fat, so it wouldn't be an easy job, I realize. But if I'm able to manage it, would the plant then branch off at the prune point and could the chopped off bit be used to start a new plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisonoz_gw

It's possible certainly, though success is in the hands of the plant and nature ( unfortunately for we mere mortals).
Given the best chance, plants just want to grow to flowering size and overcome breakages and damage in the meantime. Bless them!
Family Apocynaceae so they are akin to things like plumeria. I can't think there's anything to guide you on height, I mean no nodules or such, so decide on cutting at a point below where you want for branching.
Heeling over the base of the cut part first, and protecting the upper surface of the growing plant... you may already know of something, I found cinnamon powder a good antibiotic. You'll have to be very patient.

You might also ask in Cacti/succulent forums

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 2:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keltic_pickle

Thanks Alison. May have to give it a try.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
Unknown house plant
I bought this Exotic Angel plant at Home Depot and...
bouldergrower
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
Febuary Flowers
This is my month!! I finally have a decent amount of...
teengardener1888
help my Imperial Green Philodendron
Hello dears , I've a very beautiful and large Philodendron...
sara03
Spot for Calathea ornata and Ctenanthe oppenheimiana tricolor
Will they like the same spot as my Marantha leuconeura? Beside...
MsGreenFinger GW
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™