Dioscorea trifida.

amccourMay 30, 2012

I'm not sure where to actually ask about yams.

Anyway, I bought yam from a grocery store on Saturday. It's budding. How do I plant it? Currently I've just been watering the tuber itself and keeping it sitting in a sunny windowsill.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Hi Amccour. How've you been?

House Plant Forum is a good place to ask about yams as any.

First, Congrats. Most yams/sweet potatoes are sprayed w/a retardant to prevent budding. You probably found the one and only yam that wasn't sprayed, lol.

Before retardants were used, some people set yams in water, others in soil. If it were my yam, it'd go in soil. Side that's budding, facing up.
Don't bury the entire yam. After buds/vines grow longer, you can add a little more soil to cover potato.

Good luck, Toni

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 3:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amccour

I think the store I was at leans towards organic produce, so it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't sprayed.

I'd prefer to leave some of the tuber exposed if I could as yam tubers are rather interesting looking. Not really sure where the roots grow from, however. Some tubers I've seen on google image search have them sprouting all along the length of the tuber, whereas others appear to only have roots coming out of approximately where the vines grow from.

Also it might be a D. rotunda. I guess I'll have to see what the leaves look like.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
Pilea Moonvalley - ID & Care
Just bought this plant. I'd appreciate ID confirmation...
bobv2
Help me save my cat Palm!!
Hi, I've had my palm for almost a year now, the first...
connor55
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
Hanging Plant Identify & Care
In looking thru My Pictures Library, I found this good...
bobv2
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™