Lumpy Ficus Roots

Joe1980(5)May 7, 2012

Anybody ever have an issue with ficus roots being lumpy? With repotting season looming, I decided to check out the plants that need repotting, one of which is a typical variegated ficus benjamina. I scratched down 1/2" into the gritty mix to assess the roots, and I found that every root has a bulb like shape just below the surface. This particular plant is in a 5" pot, and is being trained into a bonsai tree. I have to imagine that this problem will pretty much scrap the tree for bonsai. What do you think?

Joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Root knot nematodes or crown gall.

Al

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 8:56AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Unless you're just describing the normal roots of the plant, which can grow very bulbous and look a little like sweet potatoes.

Al

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 2:18PM
Joe1980(5)

They do look like potatoes, and I suspect it is normal now that I searched a few terms on google that relate to it. Question is, what in the world do I do with it? Just lop off a "potato" or 2 each year? Or will they keep coming back?

Joe

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 5:07PM
marguerite_gw

They look great if you expose the roots and grow them in bonsai pots. They seem to like that.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 4:30PM
Joe1980(5)

My intention is to do just that, expose the roots. However, these bulbous potato roots look goofy, and to me will ruin the look of the tree. If I knew that the roots would eventually fill in and level out with the bulbs, I'd be ok with it. Is it possible to carve them down to be even with the roots, or do I need to remove them?

Joe

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 9:19PM
marguerite_gw

Joe, I'll try to take a picture of mine and post it later. I really like the bulbous roots. I've seen them on other ficus plants too, not just Ficus benjamina.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 1:05PM
marguerite_gw

Joe, here is the link to the Ficus benjamina on Flickr. I really like the look of the exposed roots, but in the end it's a personal choice. The roots were visible when I bought the plant.

If anyone has any idea of the variety name I would be delighted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ficus with roots

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 10:00AM
Joe1980(5)

Mine are not that thin all the way through. My goal is to expose the roots, or develope the nebari. The roots on mine start out nice, but about 3/4" from the trunk, below the soil, they have disproportionally large bulbs that look like potatoes. After doing some google searches, I found a few pics of some that look decent, so I guess I'll start exposing them, and see if they grow in. I wonder if they can't be trimmed down a bit with a razor knife?

Joe

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 10:05PM
marguerite_gw

Joe, they appeared much lumpier initially, but since the plant has grown some have thinned out. You probably can't see the thicker ones because of the photo, it was hard to get the light right. They remind me of dahlia tubers more than anything. The plant is at least five years old now, and the 'tubers' are getting a stilt-like appearance. I wouldn't carve them because it might be hard on the tree, but then I'm not growing my ficus as a bonsai, but a houseplant.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 5:34AM
More Discussions
Help!! Plant almost died while i was on vacation
Could my plant be exposed to too much sunlight? Should...
raphael1983
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Brown Leaf Spots on Dracaena
Hi all, I have a dracaena fragrans that I bought at...
breadherring
bugs?
My plants have a sticky substance on them. What is...
gerryl_ann
Pruning Ficus Lyrata (fiddle leaf fig)
Hi everyone! I have a 5 foot tall healthy, indoor ficus...
erich60660
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™