My 7.5 and 5 pound Purple Sweet Potatoes

pitcom(7a)August 30, 2012

Well, this was my first year growing sweet potatoes. I crowded in as many slips as i could fit into my 10 x 14' raised bed filled with nothing but pure leaf compost. I planted the slips at the end of April, so they have been in ground for quite a while now. I decided to head out and see what was growing, as I said this is my first time, so perhaps i should have checked sooner........

The 5.1 pounder is a beauty..

And here is the 7.5 and 5 pounder side by side.

The 7.5 lber got a crack on its side, but thats ok. I sauteed it with some coconut oil and onions and everyone agreed, it was the best potato they had ever eaten in their lives. Next year, I will be planting much more than 6 slips of these. So far I've pulled about 8 potatoes from the 6 slips, and the smallest one was 2.2 pounds. There are still a dozen more left to dig up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pnbrown

Ridiculous! Those are really whopping. That variety is famous for throwing lunkers but I have never seen any that huge. I think I had some 3-4 pounders last year.

This year is much less good growing conditions for some reason, so I don't know how the harvest is going to be.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 8:27PM
Edymnion(7a)

Holy crap, those are awesome. I wanted to grow purple sweet potatoes this year but didn't get around to trying to buy them until too late in the season.

Oh well, always next year.

Unless the Mayan thing is right, then who cares about some silly old sweet potaters?

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 8:29PM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

Are they the purple fleshed ones? I got 100 of them planted, but the order got lost and I didn't get them until late. The hot summer really pushed them back. I am hoping for a long fall so they can size up.

Where did you get the slips?

Jay

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 9:37PM
AiliDeSpain(6a - Utah)

WOW! Great job!

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 12:11AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

OK OK OK...now I'm jealous. We still have to dig our sweet potatoes, and there are some nice one down there, but nothing like that.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 1:18AM
pitcom(7a)

Jrick, yes they are purple fleshed. When they were cooked and mashed the flesh was as dark as grape soda. I got my slips from abundant acres and was very pleased. I ended up picking several more last night, all in the 2+ pound range.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 10:31AM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

Ha, those are huge! You cooked them right up without letting them cure for a while first? I thought sweet potatoes didn't taste good unless cured? Cheers!

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 11:05AM
wertach zone 7-B SC

I agree Sunnibel. I have never had a good one that wasn't cured first.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 1:24PM
gardenlen(s/e qld aust)

great going they are one of the better sweeties, the white skinned is another, hope you enjoy the eating of them, we have had them up 10 and 14 kilograms in weight huge.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens growing sweet spuds and pines

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 3:57PM
pitcom(7a)

Sunnibel, no we did not cook them all up, just the cracked one. The rest are curing, some have already been there for 10 days and will soon be ready for the long term storage. The purple was indeed delicious and extremely flavorful cooking it fresh without curing.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 6:51PM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

Interesting, maybe I will try one of mine fresh, just to see. It was years ago with an orange type that I tried one fresh and was not impressed. Enjoy your harvest!

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 11:25AM
pnbrown

Really big ones taste better fresh, IME, because they have been in the ground a long time and somewhat cured already.

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 11:30AM
Jetherina(5b)

Wow!!!! And yes I am jealous

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow in organic vegetables in coco coir ans spray...
little sur farm
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Melon transplants or direct seed?
I've read and heard conflicting info on this... what...
formerly_creativeguy
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™