Sudden variegation appears on green chlorophytum spider plant

kwie2011May 30, 2014

My perfectly ordinary green spider plants, which grew from pups of another perfectly ordinary green spider plant, has suddenly produced a pup with white edges.

The pup is TINY, but the variegation is unmistakable. Unfortunately, while trying to move the plant, I stepped on the stolon and ripped it off the plant. I'm trying to grow the pups in soil. They're awfully little to be away from "mom," but the last ones I did this to all survived (thanks to advice from you folks), so I'm hopeful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
summersunlight(5b)

That's interesting! I've never had a spider plant baby sport into a different variegation than the mother plant, but I've seen it happen with other plants (most recently my hosta). Hope the babies survive.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 8:58AM
plantomaniac08(8)

I have a baby that is variegated whose Mother was all green. Let me find a picture for you of the baby. The mother was a 'Green Bonnie.' You can see his all-green brother to the left.

Planto

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 11:33AM
kwie2011

That's pretty cool! Am I seeing the right "brother" to its left - a lighter green stripe on darker green leaves? I haven't seen that before in spider plants. I like it! Is that the only white/green variegated pup the plant has produced?

I always assumed spider "pups" were genetically identical to the parent plant, but now I wonder if there is some means of recombining DNA. (I'm sure I can find that info somewhere on the net.)

So far, so good with my mite of a pup. Although no visible roots, the little guy is still bright and healthy-looking. Turns out it's an offshoot of a slightly larger pup, which I think increases its odds of survival, but maybe decreases the odds of it keeping its lovely stripes. I'm so eager for it to root and grow so I can see what happens!

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 6:15PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Sorry, that was a bad picture. The brother to the left is a single shade of green, so nothing special about it lol.

This is the only pup that is variegated. So far it has maintained its variegation, despite being super slow growing.

Keep us updated on yours. I hope that yours develops roots and maintains its variegation. :)

Planto

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 10:52PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Here's better pictures of my variegated 'Spider Plant' pup and his brother.

Planto

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 8:14AM
kwie2011

The 3 little variegated leaves on that pup are turning a bit brown on the edges. It's rooted, but for some reason the edges of just those 3 leaves aren't healthy.

However, two leaves on a larger pup have just one thin white margin each. I can't get a photo to upload, but here's a link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1en9d3dq7b2pnex/AAAFSCWyehZk6ax4dwOFSMgta

Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 7:53PM
kwie2011

The 3 little variegated leaves on that pup are turning a bit brown on the edges. It's rooted, but for some reason the edges of just those 3 leaves aren't healthy.

However, two leaves on a larger pup have just one thin white margin each. I can't get a photo to upload, but here's a link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1en9d3dq7b2pnex/AAAFSCWyehZk6ax4dwOFSMgta

Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 8:06PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Sorry to hear about the smaller pup. I'd say so long as it produces new leaves, it should be fine. With regards to the larger pup, it appears that the variegation isn't appearing on the newer leaves?

Planto

Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
Plant identification & care
The plant in photo was grown by my friend from cuttings...
bobv2
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™