Ant infestation

stuffradioAugust 21, 2012

There is an infestation of Ants on one my broad beans. They are a reddish ant. How should I kill them? I'll probably put a picture up later today. There are some more adult Ants, and then a bunch of little black bugs up and down the stems.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stuffradio

I just found out what it was by doing searching on Google. They are black flies, and the ants are farming the black flies. Supposedly I'm supposed to pinch off the top bit of the plant to get rid of them.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 7:25PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Black flies bite people but not plants.

Perhaps you have black aphids. (Pictures would help us know for certain.) Or another kind of insect which produces honeydew, the sticky stuff that ants collect.

If so, a directed harsh spray of water would work. As would direct hits of insecticidal sop, diluted according to label directions.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 7:37PM
stuffradio

It looks similar to this.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 7:40PM
wally_1936(8b)

Have you tried to spray them with a 10 to 1 dish soap and water solution ?

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 8:40PM
petrock1963

It is likley that is whats going on is they are farming aphids or doing something of the sort. Inspect the underside of the leaves and you should be able to locate them. As stated in the previous post as spray of water or soap spray will remove the eggs and juvenile aphids.
I have used a neem spray and recently been using a garlic spray that I am pleased with.
For the ants I made a bait using peanut butter and borax and sor far it seems to be working.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 9:55AM
stuffradio

I need to find some sort of a strong sprayer. While I was watering with a water can, I knocked some of them off with the water. Haha

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 9:57AM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

Well, if they are being farmed by ants, knocking them off won't do much. The ants will just pick them back up again and bring them back on up. Maybe some diatomaceous earth around the base of the beans to discourage the ants might work.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 3:57PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'll bet that they call aphids black flies in BC....just like they call green aphids green flies in Australia and UK.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 11:58PM
stuffradio

No, we call aphids aphids. I just looked them up and that is what they were referred to. So I thought maybe that's what they are.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 12:20AM
More Discussions
Cucumber leaves turning white
Hi, I am totally new to having any sort of garden and...
wanderess
What to direct seed in eastern pa
Hi everyone. I'm begining to plan my garden for spring,...
mfran12345
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Molokai Purple Sweet Potatoes
Molokai Purple Sweet Potatoes Anyone ever try these?...
fresc1000
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™