Aid with Peperomia ID

cena60May 31, 2010

This is a leathery, succulent Peperomia with a slow growth pattern. I've had the plant nearly four years and this year it popped lots of growth. Upwards. Which makes it difficult as past growth has been mainly hanging.

I need a source/author who specializes as this is not your every day version.

I've searched the last three years for an ID, with no luck.

(McHarris, Joe K. sold this at the C&S show & sale.)

I've been through HUNDREDS of Google Images and the closest (but no cigar) is P. congona. It does not have the distictive joint coloring or the ringed upright leaves.

If you recognize this plant I would very much appreciate input.

Please see the following:

Regular spaced ring growth with stiff, slightly rough leaves growing skyward. They tighten up when water is scarce.

Yes, it IS a Pep! Going into bloom season right now.

You are looking at two bamboo supports and wild growth on each side of the supports. This shoot grew four feet this year, popping out branches. Because this grew in this tree, and had support, I arranged the bamboo poles to support this new, rampant growth. Tough to see with all the visual noise going on.

The 'hanging' part of the plant, only hinting at the strong upright growth this year.

I would appreciate ANY suggestion, hint, far flung source, guess, idea, or WAG. This plant is going into the local Cactus & Succulent show next Friday. Names are always 'good'!

TIA, for taking a look.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Cena,

Naming it Perperomia sp. is acceptable if you don't know the name - it's not that big of a deal. What is a big deal is using a name you don't know to be correct, so my two pence is to go with 'sp.' as the second part of the epithet. I suppose you've asked Joe K. and he doesn't know, so that's my advice. Lots of luck!

Jeff, who's never grown a Pep.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 8:54PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hiya Cena,

Waving atcha, been a while, eh?

Sounds like a job for Karen715, if anyone'll know, she's likely the one. Give it a day or 2, I haven't seen her around of late.

Must say I've grown a few Peps, but never saw anything like that. Kinda reminds me of what we call Pollywogs (twirling maple tree seeds), strange.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 9:28PM
karen715(z5 IL)

Hi Cena:

I'm sorry to say that I haven't got a clue. I've never seen that Peperomia before. It is certainly an interesting one.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 10:53AM
cena60

Thanks guys. Rosemarie has never provided an ID either. I think this is a group that not to many specialize in. Most can grow them, who would buy books about them?

McHarris, I noted you were here in February, will you return in June?

Nice to see friendly faces here, so much in so many places had changed...

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 2:26AM
cactusmcharris

Cena,

No, I won't, but the next weekend the Vancouver Desert Plant Society is having their Show, and I'm going to that!

You're right about Peps, I think - they're the fungi of the succulent world, perhaps.

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 2:12AM
cactusmcharris

Cena,

No, I won't, but the next weekend the Vancouver Desert Plant Society is having their Show, and I'm going to that!

You're right about Peps, I think - they're the fungi of the succulent world, perhaps.

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 2:14AM
nanw_4wi(4/SW WI)

Cena - HI! ~~

Were you able to check into any of the old A.B. Graf Exotica books (though they weren't always completely accurate, either!) or the descriptions in Hortus Third?

I have a printing of each, if you'd like me to check them.

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 12:11PM
cactusmcharris

Hi Nan! LTNS!!!

I'm sure that Cena would have checked them - I'm almost positive that the SDCSS has these in their extensive library, but I'm not sure that C's had the opportunity to check them at a monthly meeting.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 9:53AM
nanw_4wi(4/SW WI)

Hi there! LTNS Back! (Ã)
How did you end up 'up there'?!

I figured that Cena would have checked them....just making sure and offering to lend a helping hand.

Be good, now;)

Cena...please do post here should you find the ID.
It's a very intriguing plant!

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 1:23PM
mommy115(9)

I know this is an old question but, although I am no peperomia expert, I think this is pereskiifolia. See link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Peperomia_pereskiifolia.jpg

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 6:47PM
amccour

I saw a picture of the plant you have on some... Organ garden show and plant sale webpage. Apparently it's a newish species in cultivation and isn't named, according to them?

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 10:36PM
epiphyte78(9)

Really nice plant! It's Peperomia kimnachii from Bolivia. Named after Myron Kimnach who was a director of the Huntington Botanical Garden. Here's a description of the plant....

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
Schefflera and corn plant sharing a pot?
Anyone tried planting schefflera and Dracaena Fragrans...
Peter
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
March flowers 2015
Old thanksgiving cactus blooming later than normal. Hoya...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™