What are some interesting plants for a dark room ?

ArehbellaMay 2, 2012

The only light source is a skylight and a window that is pretty far away, so it's cave like with a hole in the ceiling. So far in this room, I just have spikemoss and a lemon balm plant which I head grows larger leaves in a shadier area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JessieC777(Washington State 5)

That's tough! I don't know about interesting, but have you thought about Golden pothos, sansevieria, ferns

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 12:14AM
olympia_gardener(5)

I have been ignoring my peace lily in the basement for all winter. It is still green and alive. It can be happy in a low light situation.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 2:14PM
tommyr_gw

Possibly Chinese Evergreen and the ZZ plant.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 7:44PM
marguerite_gw

I find Ficus benjamina is quite happy in low light, even the variegated ones. I suppose you know about aspidistras, which seem to prefer low light or their leaves bleach out. My marantas, particularly the green one, are happier in lower light too. They do like some, though, but it can be artificial, which I presume you are able to provide. I'll have a think and see if I can come up with more.

It's interesting that lemon balm is happy in your room, I didn't even consider that it would do well indoors at all.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 1:14PM
mrmothernature

As a rule of thumb, even the lowest light plants require 8+ hours per day of natural light that is bright enough for you to read newsprint without eye strain. If the light is less than that, then it is only a matter of time before any plant gradually deteriorates.

If you have about that much light then you might try a Dracaena 'Janet Craig' or a Dracaena 'Lisa'. They are closely related and have deep green, naturally glossy leaves. Aglaonemas and Peace Lilies are also good choices. I don't recommend Ficus.

~Will

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 8:17PM
More Discussions
Febuary Flowers
This is my month!! I finally have a decent amount of...
teengardener1888
Has anyone grown a coffee tree?
Hi Im curious has anyone tried growing a coffee tree?...
cynandjon
String of Pearls
Here is a photo of what used to be a very healthy 'String...
bobv2
Dracaenas Identify & Care
Here are two plants that I know are Dracaenas but I...
bobv2
Dying Yukka Plant! Help!
Hi everyone, I have a yukka tree that is about 9 years...
fortunespace
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™