Do houseplants ever recover after going "crispy"?

wendync(7b)May 31, 2013

Hey guys,

So I have a lot of plants. A lot. Like 80ish? Any way, I started back to school in January and I am continuing to work so I have had a lot less time to check and water all my plants. A few of the less tolerant ones have suffered with the less frequent watering.

If all of the leaves on the plant appear completely dry and "crispy" to the touch, can it be revived? Effectively, I'm guessing these leaves(all of them) are not alive any more, so can the plant be alive? Will it recover if I keep watering?? It is amazing as it happened so fast...they look fine one day and the next it's all crispy and the leaves are dead.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisonoz_gw

It really depends on the type of plant. some will just lose their leaves as a defence mechanism to conserve water loss thru transpiration. Plenty have the capacity to be revived, plenty don't. You'll just have to do your best.
Please label everything just in case so you know what's what.
Cut off the dead and dying stuff as it will do nothing for recovery and just provide a haven for disease. DON'T overwater, in fact if the pots have been sufficiently re-wetted just leave them alone as the plant needs time to recover and won't be drawing up much moisture and you will drown the roots.
Be very very patient.

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 2:59AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Leaves can't be revived once they're dead. "Completely dry and crispy " translates to dead! However, the leaves can be dead without taking the whole plant with them. Depending upon the kind of plant, new growth can emerge from the stems or crown.

It would be very helpful if we knew what kind of plants you're worried about.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 3:42PM
wendync(7b)

Well the current plant I'm worried about is a Miracle Fruit plant. Seriously, one day it was fine, the next day all leaves are crispy. And it was after maybe 4-5 days without water..It never wilted, just dried up.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
Looking for the 'old' members
I see that Tisha still posts, yay! Hi! :-) I'm in touch...
hobby_libby
Dying Calathea Plant
Hello all! I have recently started getting interested...
avanns
House Plants
Dracaenta Marginata
davers71
Money tree problems
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Money Tree. It...
jl108
Sponsored Products
Crosley Griffith 2 Piece Metal Patio Outdoor Conversation Set
$159.00 | Hayneedle
Missoni Home | Mekora Vivid Pillow 12x24
YLiving.com
Rochelle Standard Plaque
$79.00 | FRONTGATE
The Butler by micklish
$120.00 | Lumens
Irrelephant Decor
$99.99 | Dot & Bo