Scale treatments

gourJune 15, 2013

What is the best way to rid your plants of scale? I've been scraping them off and spraying my plants with a rubbing alcohol solution but they always seem to come back. It's on a few of my aloes and my orange tree. Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pelargonium_gw

Scale is not the easiest pest to get rid of. Try scraping off as much as you can, and rub the scale you see with alcohol on a Q-tip. You can also buy pesticide tablets to stick into the soil. Worth a try... personally I toss pesty plants out in the bush behind the house.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 2:22PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Scale in the crawler stage responds to topical treatments of various insecticides and rubbing alcohol, but the adults are protected by their shell. The least noxious effective treatment is a light horticultural oil, sometimes referred to as summer oil, perfect oil, or all season horticultural oil. The fastest and surest remedy is a systemic insecticide that is proven effective on scale. One of those is Bayer 3-in-1 Insect Disease and Mite Control. It is approved for use on houseplants, but should not be sprayed indoors. Read & follow directions carefully if you use it - as we should with any insecticidal remedy we use in/on our plantings.

Al

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 8:40PM
gour

Thank you for the very good information. Will the Bayer 3-1 spray be ok to use on an orange tree you think?

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 11:37PM
gour

Thank you for the very good information. Will the Bayer 3-1 spray be ok to use on an orange tree you think?

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 11:38PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

It will work well, but do not use it if you intend to eat the fruit. The label advises it's not to be used on plants for food.

Al

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
Help!! Plant almost died while i was on vacation
Could my plant be exposed to too much sunlight? Should...
raphael1983
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
Fiddle Leaf Fig Trunk Help
Hi, I recently purchased a Fiddle Leaf Fig and it’s...
Donnie
Dying Yukka Plant! Help!
Hi everyone, I have a yukka tree that is about 9 years...
fortunespace
Hanging Plant Identify & Care
In looking thru My Pictures Library, I found this good...
bobv2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™