beautiful Night Blooming Cerius and the DH finally.

coloredthumb(9a)June 21, 2009

I posted photos on KT of the Night Blooming Cerius in my front yard outside my br window, got the DH who nurtured the plants in the photo too. He finally allowed me to post a photo of him. I'm a lucky gal. I got a handsome man that does T2T with me and tends to the plants.

CT.

Here is a link that might be useful: night blooms

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Purplemoon

That is one gorgeous flower! And you are definitely lucky to have such a hunky DH who helps in the garden and does junk hunting! Ask him if he gives lessons, LOL. My golfer could use them.

hugs, Karen

Bookmark   June 21, 2009 at 11:57PM
desertrat1(Zone8_CA)

coloredthumb---
What a beautiful cacti!!!!! WOW, never knew anything about them. Since they only bloom once in awhile my bet is that they are pollinated my bats. What a wonderful hubby to tend to them and have such a big payoff as this. Document it well so others can learn from you. Now, I have a question---is this cacti usually use a tree as its source for climbing? Is it a parasite meaning does it use the tree as it's host? Such an interesting cacti since I just googled it.....
Thanks for sharing your excitement!
Love, Jules

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 12:21AM
coloredthumb(9a)

Hi Jules, I don't know about how often anyone else's may bloom but this one is at least once a year for starting in the beginning of June. They are pollinated by moths LOL. This plant was taken from cuttings 5.5 years ago and it has bloomed every year for the last 4 and last year it bloomed in June and December. This time really blows me away with over 100 buds though. I think DH talks fertilizer to it. I've seen then grow and attach to a stucco wall, I've ween then grow up many different trees and then I've also seen them grow in a tangled heap and spread out in a fence type wall. Believe me Cacti make good protection under windows. LOL

CT

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 8:15AM
luvs2click

That is so impressive - the detail in the flowers is gorgeous. I didn't know they climbed either. And that one is huge! Thanks for sharing!
Arlene

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 8:42AM
nonacook(8bFL)

Wonderful--I posted on the KT when I went to see the photos...

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 9:47PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

Me too. I got all disoriented cuz I didn't know where I was and answered another post too.
kathy

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 2:45PM
coloredthumb(9a)

Gals I don't mind where you answer just so you like the photos. Some of the KT gals and guys asked for some day shots of the plant so I put up another photo heavy post. It also has pics of the flat night blooming cactus with only one bloom opening tonight. I got cuttings just 2 years ago but it has bloomed 3x since then.

CT

Here is a link that might be useful: day shots of night bloomers

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 4:19PM
Marlene Kindred

What a beautiful flower! LOVE it! And your DH is wonderful for tending to it!

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 5:33PM
jeannespines

WOW, coloredthumb...I have never seen anything like that! The blooms are just beautiful!!! And, "white at night" is always just awesome! Thanks for sharing your DH's gardening skills & the pics! The only cactus I can grow here is "prickly pear" with yellow blooms...Jeanne S.

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 10:33PM
akup_a(7)

Wow! Such a gorgeous blloom. It's amazing, so much beauty on a prickly plant.
Vickie

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 11:37AM
More Discussions
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Meep Meep
It's been blistering hot here. The pictures posted...
tinfoilhat
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
glass insulators
WWYD? A friend gave me close to 100 glass telephone...
chickiebabeblue
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™