More

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 7:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cjtabares(MA Zone 6)

Last pic

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 7:56PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

It just has the look of not being ripe. The tendril isn't dead, the vine looks too healthy, and the melon looks too young. It'll get a little rougher looking when ripe. The yellow spot isn't a good indicator....it's been there for a while. I would suggest rotating it so the yellow spot is on top for even ripening. Unless the melon has been on the vine for 7 weeks, I would say you are at least 2-3 weeks away from ripe. When did you set them out? I think Sugar baby is about 85 days. In short, just from my experience growing watermelons up north for a few years, it just isn't ripe yet. Not sure how many you have to waste to find out the hard way. Be a little more patient.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 10:02PM
glib(5.5)

Not ripe. Put a brick or board under that thing, if you have voles they will tunnel into the fruit from below.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 10:06PM
cjtabares(MA Zone 6)

Ok thanks, I read that when the bottom turns yellow it was ripe but the vine still looked alive and not dry so I was unsure. 2-3 weeks would be around 85 days since I put them out so that sounds right. I will get something under it tomorrow. I have another fruit about a week behind this one. Do you think they will taste sweet with the days getting shorter, I think I read they need a lot of sun to be sweet.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 10:43PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

IMO, yes they should be sweet. Some suggest cutting back on the watering to increase the sugar. Only water when necessary, and definitely no fertilizer.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 8:37AM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

cjtabares,
In picture #2 you can see that the adjacent tendril is still green. What I do is get acquainted with the watermelon fruits as individuals. Watch them grow. They will cease growing before they are ripe. Now, as they are done growing, watch that tendril. It will start turning yellowish and then about 4 days later it will be brown. At this point I hold off harvesting for about 10 days at least [unless it is a Dixie Lee] to let it sweeten up some more..

I never have trouble with watermelon damage from laying on the ground. Cantaloupes do need rotating or have something placed under them [I rotate].

Ad for watering. On really healthy plants, you may have 2 fruits maturing and 2 or 3 more still small...don't hold the water in that case [I don't anyway and have sweet melons.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
Cucumber Nutritional Deficiency
Hi guys, I'm a farmer based out of Shmedabad, Gujarat,...
dshaival
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Who is gardening right now? Show me pictures
I spent my day in the garden. My turnips and kale made...
katy_bug
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™