unknown type of plant

lee80903(4 -5)June 25, 2013

I stuck it outside for a few days and some leaves had burn will it recover or do i need to take cuttings and start new plant thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hard to tell from your pic, but I think that's a Philodendron. Think it wants bright indirect light.

I'd leave it in some shade for a week & water it, let it have some time to recover.

I don't think it's half as damaged as you seem to think, just give it some time.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 7:31AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Agreed, it's an infant, (a very vigorous-looking one, nice!) no material there suitable for cuttings that I can see.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 10:58AM
birdsnblooms

I 3rd Pirate Girl and Purple's comments.

Your Philodendron reddened, but I don't see actual sunburn.

Philo's are better suited indoors, or in a super-duper shady spot outside..Under an awning, etc.
A tree won't previde much shade..
My Orchid leaves burned in the shadiest spot..under a tree, near tall bushes, and under a shelf tier.

Toni

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 3:08PM
asleep_in_the_garden

Likely a variety of Philodendron erubescens.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 3:32PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hey there Asleep ITG,

Not forgotten (or deliberately avoided); haven't had a chance to respond further ;>)

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 4:10PM
asleep_in_the_garden

Hey Karen...

Just got here after editing my last post on that thread(not that it hasn't been noticed by now). Thanks for not giving me the cold shoulder. Thought for sure you'd never speak to me again.

Anyhoo those stems were reminiscent of my own erubescens so I figured I'd help out(if in fact it was at all helpful lol).

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 4:42PM
lee80903(4 -5)

It was full of leaves when i got it till i put it outside. Some of the leaves burn and discolored and wilted. It seem to start growing new leaves now. thanks

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 5:02PM
lee80903(4 -5)

It was full of leaves when i got it till i put it outside. Some of the leaves burn and discolored and wilted. It seem to start growing new leaves now. thanks

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 5:03PM
tropicbreezent

It does look like my P. erubescens. I have several of them, ranging from full sun to deeper shade. Those in full sun and brightest light grow the fastest. Those in heavier shade are quite slow. The plant is reddish in colour but new growth is a deep dark red. Plants growing out in the sun are okay. But you should never take shade grown plants and put them straight into full sun. They need to be acclimatised gradually. These will recover from a severe burn (provided stems aren't fully cooked) but it can set them back a long way.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 11:09PM
asleep_in_the_garden

Thanks for that heads up Tropic!

Mine's in a pretty shaded area at the moment...I think I will sneak it up on a bit more light. :)

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
Peace Lily -Black Leaves
This is a repost from 2005! I've reviewed every thread...
sylvan
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
Need Help with the Id of This plant
I need to know the name of this plant and if its a...
lulu627
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™