Hollow Heart Potatoes

peter_6August 27, 2008

Several of my best potatoes have hollow heart. I think I know the cause: too much rain in spring and early summer. But my question to keen potato growers is: is there anything I can do in preparing the soil or during the growing season next year to prevent hollow heart? Regards, Peter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Not a whole lot unless you irrigate. It is a physiological problem caused by wide fluctuation in growth. Usually rain flowed by drought followed by rain. The tubers start stop and start again in spurts. Too much soluble nitrogen a a given point in time can also contribute. The potatoes need to grow steadily, anything which causes growth spurts can cause it.

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 9:15PM
peter_6

Thank you farmerdilla, that helps. Regards, Peter.

Bookmark   August 31, 2008 at 12:44PM
gailz(z5)

My potatoes have this same problem this year, and I wonder how well they will store. Must I use up all of them in short order, or can I plan to keep them for several months, as I did last year's crop? I hope you're still reading this, farmerdilla! Thanks.

Bookmark   August 31, 2008 at 11:12PM
farmerdilla

Since you cannot tell from the outside, there is no need to worry about it. You will find it in both store bought cooking potatoes as well as store bought seed potatoes. They usually keep, but sometimes a fungus will grow in the cavity. It is a very minor problem compared to the major problems with Irish potato tubers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potato Tuber problems

Bookmark   September 1, 2008 at 8:50AM
More Discussions
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™