Spider plants from seed

a1pha_fema1e(4)June 22, 2013

Let me preface this by saying I know spider plants are usually propagated from the babies :) But my spider had some seed pods and I'm curious if anyone has grown spiders from seeds? And if so how? Thanks!
Sarah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

I have. It takes patience. Wait until the pod dries out and sow in sterile seed starting mix water and seal in plastic wrap. The seeds will sprout within 2 weeks to a month. When this happens remove the package and make shure it does not dry out. Whithin a year it will obtain some size. Just to add all seeds are either all green or all white(the white die due to no chloroplast)

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 8:16AM
a1pha_fema1e(4)

Thanks! Can I take the pod out before it is completely dry? Some opened before the pod was dried completely and the seeds fell out and I lost them. Sterile seed starting soil with water? Or is there some other sterile seed starting product? How do I sterilize the soil? The soil I have does not say it is sterile... Thanks!!

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 10:09AM
pelargonium_gw

You can sterilize soil in the stove, bake it for a while on fairly hight temperature - others may know how long and how hot, but half an hour may do, I guess. You may also use perlite or vermiculite, no need to sterilize those.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 4:03PM
pumpkineater2

I grew some from seed. The seedpods took forever to mature. I put them in a jiffy greenhouse seed starter. At first I didnt know that it would take a week or two for them to grow and I was about to throw them away when I saw little green spikes coming out of the soil. They got huge really fast! The green ones grow way faster than the varigated ones. I know this because I have a varigated plantlet that I rooted from the same plant that the seeds came from and it is several months older than the seedlings I grew but the plants from the seeds are now waaaaay bigger than the cutting. Good luck to you with your seeds!

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 12:06AM
bobbu(Denmark)

There are two YouTube videos about growing Spider Plants from seed, that someone might be interested in seeing:

Spider plant seeds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-1FY0LE04M (i.e. getting them)

Growing Spider Plants from Seeds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb-MK8-1V44 (what to do with them)

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Satus Update!
It was 52 degrees yesterday, and in my yard I found...
Rhamel(teengardener1888)
Who am I?
I was at WM and this fellow was on clearance and jumped...
savannaicus
A lighter gritty mix and a 5-1-1 question
Hey, So I love gritty mix and only have a few plants...
hottomato99
Question on pot-up house Azaleas
I have no problem growing florist Azalea as a houseplant....
jujujojo_gw
White bugs in saucer under spider plant
I found a pile of these small white bugs in the saucer...
Caitlin Maraist
Sponsored Products
Tall Banana Tree
FRONTGATE
Bat Wing CFL Reflector Light with Socket and 120-volt Cord
$36.97 | Home Depot
Agave Round Pendant
Lightology
Gama Sonic Path & Landscape Lights Progressive Solar Powered Bright-White LED
Home Depot
Flower Burst Rug
$89.99 | zulily
Rose Arbor Pergola
Fifthroom.com
Perennial Face Cloth - SKY BLUE(MEDBLUE) (FACE TOWEL)
$11.90 | Horchow
Rose, Teal and Gold One Light La Colina Lamp
$502.20 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™