cherokee tomato plant

azzure08August 8, 2012

I planted a Cherokee tomato plant that is not growing the fruit at a fast pace I have smaller fruit but that have not grown much. I know I did something wrong when I placed it in a pot with my sun gold tomato plant but I am a first time gardener and for time in containers. Is there any advice yall can give me(other than I made the mistake of putting it in the same pot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

Well, each tomato plant should have it's own very large pot if you are doing container gardening. They need a LOT of root room! Probably a wine barrel per plant would be great!
I had some CP's last year left over from a school garden that I didn't have room for. Popped them in the ground , thinking the gophers would get them, and they ended up sprawling all over the garden, giving me tons of large tomatoes!
Check out the container gardening forum if you're going to continue with the plants in pots! You'll be amazed at what they do in pots! HTH Nancy

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 2:11AM
coralb(7)

Yeah, my Cherokees get VERY big (probably 8-10 feet). You definitely need a very large pot for them. A wine barrel would be the smallest I would go. See if you can get empty pots that some nurseries use for trees. Those are a little larger than wine barrels (more depth too). Those are what I use for container tomatoes.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 9:52AM
azzure08

thank you

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
pepper with Brown spots
I researched about this disease and it says that a...
keyki5
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™