Chinese Evergreen

scsva(7/VA)June 27, 2011

Chinese Evergreen fans,

Tell me about this plant. My books say that it is a slow grower. Can you tell me how you care for your plant? I don't especially like slow growers but think these are nice looking plants.

Thanks all,

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
izharhaq

That book's author didn't traveled to tropics for sure....lol
lovely plant and not a slow grower, once established it fills the pot with suckers... moderate light, no direct sun, not fussy about soil type and fertilization.. loves humidity, doesn't like strong air movement.. the Thai bred hybrids are slower..

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 8:12AM
moonie_57

I have a couple of aglaonema's. Just recently the leaves began to brown. Maybe they were getting too much light so I moved them to a lower light area. Or it may have been too hot. Perhaps I overwatered. You guys can be the judge later today. That should give Susan even more info. :)

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 10:34AM
birdsnblooms

Hi Susan. Slow opposed to fast-growing..Depends on your outlook.
Aglao's don't grow as quickly as weeds, lol, but speedier than some Cactus/Fat Plants.

They send out new leaves once daylight increases, go semi-dormant in autumn/winter..at least in cold-climates when sun is 'asleep' and air, dry.
Around Feb/Mar foliage spurts, colors deepen..

IMO, they slow down after flowering in autumn. Second, it depends on species.

Izhar, I'm sure you're right, but plants growing outdoors, in-ground, year round differs from container plants.
Ex. trees grown in containers never get as large as they would planted in-ground, nor as fast.
How I wish I could visit a tropical paradise before going to heaven.

Moonie..is the brown crispy or soft? I doubt leaves would brown 'crispy' if over-watered. On the contrary. Toni

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 3:12PM
izharhaq

Toni, I also grew them in small pots under fluorescent lights, but I think its the warm temperature here which speeds up their growth..

Moonie, they can stand with wet feet for weeks!! so in my opinion it is the direct sun which burned the leaves.. I rooted a cutting in my fish tank and it was planted several months after growing well in the aquarium water (only the roots were in water)

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 1:21AM
birdsnblooms

Izhar..you're so lucky living in zone 11. Maybe I ask where you're located? If you don't want to answer, I understand.
Yes, heat speeds up germination. We have to use heating devices for that purpose.

Do Aglaos grow outdoors, in the ground? Year round? Toni

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 1:14PM
izharhaq

Toni 'm in Karachi,Pakistan... I guess many people know about Pakistan after the unfortunate 9/11 incident.

Yes Aglaos can grow outside here, year round..but the colorful Thai varieties are not that strong and are very cold sensitive..

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 7:46AM
dellis326 (Danny)

Here is an interesting document I found on the International aroid Society's website;

Success With Your Aglaonemas Indoors
By Gary Antosh

Here is a link that might be useful: Success With Your Aglaonemas

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 9:39AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi Dellis,

Thanks for the link, made for some interesting reading.

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 11:53AM
birdsnblooms

Izhar..bet there's beautiful plants there..
'Most people know Pakastan, Italy, England, Peru, Canada, Mexico, USA and numerous other countries before the dreadful 9/11.'

Izhar, would you happen to have pics of Thai Aglaos? If so, will you please post them?
Aglaos are one of my favorite plants. Most I have came from Thailand. Especially colorful reds/pinks. They're beautiful!

Danny, interesting link. I didn't read the entire site..The author is right about fertilizer, if proper soils containing nutrients are used..
Some of my fertilizers do not contain Urea 'Nitrogen'..Plants that are fertilized without Urea hasn't salt issues, including the white crud around container rims.
It's a little more $, but worth it. Toni

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 1:03PM
scsva(7/VA)

Thanks for the link.

I only have the Emerald Beauty and Silver Queen.

Susan

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 2:05PM
More Discussions
Help!! Plant almost died while i was on vacation
Could my plant be exposed to too much sunlight? Should...
raphael1983
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
Can this Dracaena be Saved?
This long neglected Dracaena has been growing sideways,...
sandyslopes z5 northern UT
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Hanging Plant Identify & Care
In looking thru My Pictures Library, I found this good...
bobv2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™